MSI files have wrong languages

marc.bau
MSI files have wrong languages

Post by marc.bau » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:15 pm

If I look into the MSI properties of a package - after I added it into a AD policy for deployment - the German MSI (de-de) has a language of "English". I have no good idea how to deploy Firefox in MUI environment if this is wrong... I thought I can use one policy with all MSIs if all languages are correct in the packages. Aside - is there any way to build an Firefox MUI?

Can you fix this wrong language property in the MSI files, please?

DragonHawk

Re: MSI files have wrong languages

Post by DragonHawk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:29 pm

marc.bau wrote:Aside - is there any way to build an Firefox MUI?
Based on discussions that have happened in the official Firefox MSI bug: Not with the current Firefox design. Language is determined at build time, and embedded into everything.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Hum.. I think he is refering to the language set in the MSI itself which has a Language setting that is displayed in some deployment tools. I am guessing if you were trying to create some multi-target rule based on this field it won't work. I'll look into this, but I am not sure if it can be fixed.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

marc.bau

Post by marc.bau » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Are you using WiX for building? If I'm not completly wrong it is the language attribute in product tag... inside the MSI it's in "Property" table and the key is "ProductLanguage" with a value of the language.

naberios

Post by naberios » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:53 am

If it's in the property table why not just edit it with orca or insted for the time being?

marc.bau

Post by marc.bau » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Yes, in general this is possible. But I'm reporting here a bug that can be fixed very easily for the next build round 5.01 or 5.02. :-)

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:21 am

Let me look into this. I have to see if Mozilla's language code are compatible with the MSI codes.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

marc.bau

Post by marc.bau » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:22 pm

This really need to be fixed. I have also seen that the File table has tagged all files as 1033. The File table may need to be changed too. A value of <null> should make it language neutral. Than you only need to fix the product language what is in WiX inherited to the product language... so it's only one value that need to be fixed. No idea what need to be done in MakeMSI...

For all who have the same issue and are searching for a workaround, see http://www.hass.de/content/how-fix-inva ... -msi-files what need to be changed in the MSI file.