How to change icon of FrontMotion Firefox Community Edition?

marc.bau
How to change icon of FrontMotion Firefox Community Edition?

Post by marc.bau » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:24 pm

I need to restore the original icon of Firefox in the FrontMotion Firefox Community Edition package. I'd like to use the policies, but I cannot have this FrontMotion icon on the Desktop in the Start menu and in the Firefox Window. My user are not accepting this and ask me where their Firefox is gone. Their eyes are searching for the organge fox and Mozilla Firefox only. It doesn't matter to them if someone believe this is not the original "Firefox" and it's a different product, what it is not really.

We need to present the well known Firefox icon to the user, not any other and we must have the Policies function.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Re: How to change icon of FrontMotion Firefox Community Edit

Post by DraconPern » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:40 pm

There is no way to do this through group policy since those icons are Window resources that are included during compile time. The packager service however can generate a customized package for your site that replaces the icon.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

marc.bau

Post by marc.bau » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:27 pm

I have no need for building packages.

Wasn't there a way to convert the MSI to XML? Than I can change the binary icon with a tool and and re-package back... I have better things to do, but the build service I do not really need is to expensive.

DragonHawk

Post by DragonHawk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:49 am

marc.bau wrote:Wasn't there a way to convert the MSI to XML?
As far as I know, no. MSI files are a collection of database tables plus a file archive. Some of the build systems out there (notably WiX) use XML to control the build of the MSI, but you can't go backwards.
marc.bau wrote:I have better things to do, but the build service I do not really need is to expensive.
Well, then, you're gonna have to live with the different icon. Mozilla doesn't allow redistribution of modified Firefox builds with their trademarks (such as the icon logo). The packaging service gets around that restriction since *you're* the one submitting the icon; the onus is on you then.

SamErde

Post by SamErde » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:04 am

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the Mozilla license, although open, does not allow 3rd party distributions to use the same icon as the Mozilla release. That would make it hard for people to distinguish the brand of release, and Mozilla may not want to be associated with every single 3rd party release that is out there.

That said, there is nothing preventing you as an admin from changing the icon. I'm sure you don't want to visit every machine and change it, so I would suggest using group policy (or logon scripts, or whatever systems management tool you prefer) to remove the Frontmotion shortcut and replace it with a new shortcut that uses the Mozilla Firefox icon. In order to accomplish this, you may also have to push a separate icon file. Either way...this would be fairly easy to accomplish.