Firefox 11 MSI kills application list in control panel

christian
Firefox 11 MSI kills application list in control panel

Post by christian » Tue May 08, 2012 10:18 am

Hello,

just wondering why my application list in control panel is empty after applying several gpo installs. First I thought I would have specific problems with my AD environment or that is something wrong with the freshly installed workstations.

After trying to install Firefox 11 MSI I noticed that the problem doesn't have to do anything with my AD environment.

Please try to install Firefox 11 MSI manually (without GPO) on a PC with Win7 64bit and have a look into your application list in control panel.. Maybe there are some applications yet, but most of them are disappeared. Don't forget to make an image backup of your Windows installation before!

Then have a look in registry on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

You will notice that only Firefox remains there for uninstall. The rest of previous installed applications is missing.

The applications that are still available for uninstalling in control panel are also listed in registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. This section was not touched by Firefox MSI installation.

Please tell me what I can change in MSI-file so the application entries in control panel will be preserved. Is it possible to fix it in the next Firefox version?

regards,

Christian

christian

Re: Firefox 11 MSI kills application list in control panel

Post by christian » Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 am

Same issue when I use FirefoxESR..

Is that problem replicable for anybody? It seems only happen von X64-Machines.

Regards, Christian

jpa

Post by jpa » Thu May 10, 2012 1:32 pm

I just tested this in Win8 CP 64bit English and don't see the problem. I don't have a Win7 64 bit machine to test.

Clean Win8 64bit VM
Install FileZilla as Desktop User
Check Wow6432Node Uninstall and see FileZilla Client entry
Install FM Firefox 11 MSI from Administrative installation point install as Desktop User
Check Uninstall reg key and still see FileZilla and also have Firefox entry
Uninstall FM Firefox
FileZilla still in Uninstall registry key

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Sat May 12, 2012 5:07 am

Tested on Windows 7 x64 enUS without the stated issue. Is may be a vm I can test out?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

lcampos

Post by lcampos » Thu May 17, 2012 10:21 am

My two cents:

Win 7 Pro x64 (ES)
10.0.4 ESR CE (ES_AR)
Deployed via Software Installation GPO

"Programs and Features" list looks fine.