Silent Install Help

TeflonJack
Silent Install Help

Post by TeflonJack » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to deploy the Firefox Community Edition Msi via MDT or even manually using the following:

msiexec /i FMFirefoxCE-14.0.1-en-US.msi /qn

It does nothing.

When I run the following:
msiexec /i FMFirefoxCE-14.0.1-en-US.msi /passive it does run but not silently.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

DragonHawk

Re: Silent Install Help

Post by DragonHawk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:33 pm

TeflonJack wrote:I have been trying to deploy the Firefox Community Edition Msi via MDT or even manually using the following:
msiexec /i FMFirefoxCE-14.0.1-en-US.msi /qn
It does nothing.
I bet it does *something*, just not what you want. Try some of the logging options and see what it says. E.g.:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i FMFirefoxCE-14.0.1-en-US.msi /qn /l*vx c:\fxdebug.log 

TeflonJack

Post by TeflonJack » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:57 am

I haven't tried logging yet, but my own experimenting results in the following. The install does start to run, but then appears to cancel when user account control is started. What I don't understand is why the FM Firefox CE edition initiates this, but the regular Firefox edition msi does not. The user account control starting is the issue, any idea how to avoid this from happening?

jpa

Post by jpa » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:00 pm

Install elevated?

DragonHawk

Post by DragonHawk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:49 pm

TeflonJack wrote:I haven't tried logging yet, but my own experimenting results in the following. The install does start to run, but then appears to cancel when user account control is started. What I don't understand is why the FM Firefox CE edition initiates this, but the regular Firefox edition msi does not. The user account control starting is the issue, any idea how to avoid this from happening?
I don't know that much about how UAC interacts with MSI, but like jpa, I would definitely recommend starting the installer from an elevated context ("Run as Administrator", etc.). Otherwise, the context won't have permission to install software without an elevation request, which is an opportunity for things to go wrong.

The log is likely to provide more information.

I don't know why the two MSIs have differently.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:23 pm

You definitly have to run from an elevated context or command line to install with /qn. That's true for both the normal and CE edition.
FrontMotion Lead Developer