Win7 and proxy settings GPO

toast77
Win7 and proxy settings GPO

Post by toast77 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:57 pm

I currently and using the firefox .msi 16.0.1 with adm files.
I am able to deploy to win xp machines and enter a manual proxy setting and lock it.
However i cannot do the same for win 7 machines. The .msi will deploy but i cannot get settings to work.
Any help??
I have just introduced a windows 2008 domain server thinking that the old 2003 server wouldnt push to win7 machines.

farmersWPSD

Re: Win7 and proxy settings GPO

Post by farmersWPSD » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:22 pm

I haven't tried setting that on Win7, yet, but have you tried using the ADMX file? Or use Group Policy Managment on a Win7 machine? You need to install the Resource Kit I believe to get that on Win7.

I know there are Group Policy Preference also that were introduced in 2008. Your domain functional level will stay at whatever the lowest server in the domain is. So you would need to remove the 2003 server completely to change that. Saying that, I am not sure how much that affects what you're doing.

We're in the same situation and while most policies work for us, the GPP stuff doesn't work right. We're upgrading our servers this winter and removing the 2003 boxes.

MonkeyBoy

Post by MonkeyBoy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Actually the domain functional level will stay at whatever the domain functional level is, regardless of how new/old the oldest server is. What older server does is prevent you from raising the functional level, unless you don't mind breaking the older servers. IOW, if you have a domain containing 2003 and 2000 servers operating at 2000 functional level, it will remain at 2000 functional level even if you remove the last 2000 domain controller off the domain. After that happens though you can then raise the functional level to 2003. They're two different events.

I converted the ADM to an ADMX file on my own and my settings are locked on a battalion of Win7 machines ruled by Win2008R2 servers. It could be that you need to download a newer ADM, convert the ADM to an ADMX file, or make the changes under Computer rather than User?

farmersWPSD

Post by farmersWPSD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:19 pm

How do you convert the ADM files to ADMX?