Hosting an update server

wporter
Hosting an update server

Post by wporter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:58 am

Does anyone know if it's possible to host updates on an internal server and have the machines pull from it? I would like to use the CEESR version and host each minor release and have the machines automatically update to the new versions. This would avoid having to perform a company rollout each time a minor ESR version comes out.

Thanks

DraconPern
Site Admin

Re: Hosting an update server

Post by DraconPern » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:48 pm

You should really use Active Directory for the updates. Btw, the updates are disabled on all installs from us.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

Next-Energy

Post by Next-Energy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:12 am

Deploying new versions via AD has a downside: The installation process (and thus the bootup process) takes very long and some users tend to turn off the PC when they are impatient. I would like to set up an update server as described here, but i need to know what changes i have to make in order to get the Firefox CE to use this update server.

Is anybody able to help me out?

MonkeyBoy

Post by MonkeyBoy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:07 pm

You should push out Java updates to the clients. It'll shock them into thinking FMF updates are amazingly quick. We just tell people in advance that updates are being pushed out and to reboot their system before leaving for the day, get in early the next day, or suck it up and go get a cup of coffee.

I don't think any of the FMF versions have the update system in place, because Mozilla doesn't allow third parties to update against Mozilla servers (which makes sense since the versions are no longer Mozilla products). Even if you figured out how to get FMF connected to an update server, your update server would have to push down FMF specific updates and not Mozilla updates, since you're not running Mozilla's flavor of Firefox.