Do not make Firefox default browser during installation

Inexor
Re: Do not make Firefox default browser during installation

Post by Inexor » Wed May 27, 2009 6:21 pm

I run the installation as always, knowing that my registry will be a mess afterwards.
After this I run the following:

c:\windows\system32\shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE

IE is set as the default browser, and my problems are solved
Now, that's a creative solution, and at least that would temporarily fix this until DraconPern can resolve this issue with the installer. So how do you run that just once after the FF install?

rweir

Post by rweir » Thu May 28, 2009 4:07 pm

dmc wrote:I thought I'd just share my quick fix to this problem until a solution is provided.
I run the installation as always, knowing that my registry will be a mess afterwards.
After this I run the following:

c:\windows\system32\shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE

IE is set as the default browser, and my problems are solved 8)
I've tried running this as suggested and I doesn't switch the default browser for me. I'm running Win XP SP3 with IE 7 and FireFox 3.0.0.10. I've tried creating a script and running it from the command line, with no success. Any thoughts on why it isn't working?

hazelir

Post by hazelir » Sat May 30, 2009 2:35 am

What's the difference between Internet Explorer and FireFox? Why do people say I should switch to FireFox? Every time I call for tech support they tell me I should switch to FireFox! Even when it has nothing to do with the internet. What are the differences, I want specifics, not vague answers like: It's better or safer. I have a Toshiba Satellite L355-S7817 Laptop.

Inexor

Post by Inexor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:30 pm

What's the best emoticon to express shear desparation with this problem? :roll: or :cry: or perhaps :evil:

Such a good idea, such a great tool, and yet it has this fatal flaw...that is apparently impossible to repair. That is, unless DraconPern can save the day for us all.

amonschein

Post by amonschein » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:21 pm

In the community edition the INSTALLLEVEL is 3 in the property section, but Firefox still becomes the default browser in my neck of the woods. What can be done? The firefox adm? I can't deploy using the admin point- you can't use a GPO with an administrative installation point.
Anyone get this to work?

Andrea

jpa

Post by jpa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:20 am

It looks like we're still out of luck with the 3.0.11 release. The firefox.js file already has browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser set to false so you no longer need an admin install to make Firefox not check if it's the default browser. Unfortunately the registry problems on uninstall I noted earlier still exist. So if you install the Firefox MSI and then uninstall (or upgrade) IE will think it's not the default browser and throw a warning on start.

Inexor

Post by Inexor » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 am

Please....help.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Ok, I see that a few places online says "shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE" works. If so, I can code the MSI so it runs it on uninstall.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

systeembeheerder

Post by systeembeheerder » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:30 am

Ok, I see this problem has been going on for a long time.
DraconPern is the one who can make a change for all of us. I have downloaded 3.5.2.
If I use Orca, I see that: F_SetDefaultBrowser is set to 4.
Before I deploy this installer to 85+ computers. Is this problem fixed in this version? Can that be confirmed :?:

Kind regards.

jpa

Post by jpa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:46 pm

I am still experiencing the problem I detailed in http://forums.frontmotion.com/viewtopic ... t=45#p2478 with my English 3.5.2 MSI. As I stated there Firefox won't become default if you set the InstallLevel to 3. However, when Firefox is uninstalled or upgraded to a new version of the MSI that hasn't fixed the problem then registry entries will be set such that IE thinks it's not the default browser and will complain.
If DraconPern changes the next build to set the registry keys as IE expects or runs the "shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE" routine then you shouldn't have a problem.

matthew.trent

Post by matthew.trent » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:09 pm

This is a fairly critical issue for my organization as well. If we deploy, the default browser needs to stay the same or there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth! :D

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Wow... This is the longest running thread! On one side, people who need default and on the other not default... :(
FrontMotion Lead Developer

matthew.trent

Post by matthew.trent » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:10 pm

I think what I'm seeing is folks really want it to definitely (correctly) do what it's told. If it's supposed to leave the default browser alone by default, that should work. If you change INSTALLLEVEL so it should make itself the default, that should work. If you uninstall it and it changes IE back to default, that should work.

Inexor

Post by Inexor » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:24 pm

What Matt said is exactly right -- we just need to know how to set it so it will do what it is told. Right now, you can set it any way you can imagine and, when it upgrades (or uninstalls) no browser is the default and everyone is unhappy.

nickb

Post by nickb » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Glad to see it is not just me. I had previously upgraded from Firefox 2.x with no problem to 3.0.5, but now that I am upgrading from 3.0.5 to 3.5.2, I am having the default browser problem.

We have a mixed environment, some deparments use Firefox as default and some use IE. I really want the install to leave the default alone. Forcing it to IE would be just as bad for some users as forcing it to Firefox for others.