File C:\test.txt

Caizi
File C:\test.txt

Post by Caizi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:31 am

Hello boys,

do you know somebody why there is created at time installation/uninstallation empty file C:\test.txt. And how to prevent its creation?

I dont like sweepings in the system and specially in root of system drive.

Thanks for help. Petr Z.

shrapnel09

Re: File C:\test.txt

Post by shrapnel09 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Confirming blank text file, test.txt, placed on root of C:\ after installation of FrontMotion Firefox 3.0 MSI.

Nothing sets a system administrator's mind at ease like finding a suspicious, mysterious file on all of his machines.

-404TechSupport

m0gely

Post by m0gely » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:28 pm

So THIS is where those files have been coming from? This has been driving me crazy! Please fix.

shrapnel09

Post by shrapnel09 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:18 am

Make your own .msi to avoid these problems and other goofy settings:
http://www.404techsupport.com/?p=307

I documented my process so I don't have to rely on anybody else and their schedule. You can make your own setup and tweak it to how you want it to behave in your organization pretty easily.
Last edited by shrapnel09 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antti

Post by Antti » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:25 am

I hope FrontMotion confirms this.

For shrapnel09: making your own msi using a snapshot isn't what I would call a clean way to install software. I use WinINSTALL to repackage software but many times I have to do a lot of cleaning up. Another thing: I like having the possibility to control the settings easily via policies without making my own adm files.

shrapnel09

Post by shrapnel09 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:19 am

For Antti: What do you think they're using here to create the MSI? They're making a snapshot with MakeMSI. I'm just saying making your own .msi means you know exactly what you're getting.

If you make your snapshot on a new Windows machine (as few services running in the background as possible), you shouldn't have any problems. It's the best solution until Mozilla starts releasing their own .msi files.

Make your own Firefox msi

Antti

Post by Antti » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:26 am

For Antti: What do you think they're using here to create the MSI? They're making a snapshot with MakeMSI.
Could be, I really don't know. You are still not getting GPO control, though. What bothers me with FM's Firefox is new versions come out a bit too late - it shouldn't be weeks, only a couple of days. This is the main reason I've been thinking about either ditching Firefox (if IE8 doesn't disappoint me, which I doubt) or making my own, which I really don't want, have enough stuff to do already.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:54 pm

Ah, test.txt is created during install. was a debuging log, but it looks like it made the release. Do you guys want the installer to remove it on the next version?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

Antti

Post by Antti » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:00 am

DraconPern wrote:Do you guys want the installer to remove it on the next version?
I have already removed it using a startup script. Just my opinion: someone could be using a file with the same name and location for some other purpose, so removing it (or any file not in the application's directory excluding related files) could be harmful.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14 pm

How about deleting test.txt only if it is 0 bytes?

Inexor

Post by Inexor » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Great idea. That would be best.... delete if 0.

DragonHawk

Post by DragonHawk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:42 pm

shrapnel09 wrote:For Antti: What do you think they're using here to create the MSI? They're making a snapshot with MakeMSI.
Actually, I believe FrontMotion builds Firefox from sources, and then packages the resulting build final output into an MSI. So it's not a snapshot of the results of a standard Firefox SETUP.EXE, but a "clean install". Just how much that matters prolly depends on a lot of things. Myself, I've had sufficient poor results with snapshot/diff based installers to want to avoid them if possible. YMMV.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:40 am

Just wanted to note that with an install of 3.0.4. The c:\test.txt is deleted if the size is 0. No more mystery file. :)

shrapnel09

Post by shrapnel09 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:00 am

Antti wrote:For shrapnel09: making your own msi using a snapshot isn't what I would call a clean way to install software. I use WinINSTALL to repackage software but many times I have to do a lot of cleaning up. Another thing: I like having the possibility to control the settings easily via policies without making my own adm files.
I agree that snapshots are not the best way of installing software, but at the time I was not aware of any alternatives. I have, however, stumbled upon other software that allows you to bundle the setup.exe in a .msi and deploy it directly from the source. You can read those easy instructions here and make the .msi in a few minutes as soon as the setup.exe is released from Mozilla: http://www.404techsupport.com/2008/12/1 ... eployment/