Cannot Get FireFox HomePage To Work

BzowK
Cannot Get FireFox HomePage To Work

Post by BzowK » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:16 pm

Good Afternoon All -

I'm currently attempting to deploy FireFox to about 500 computers in my domain. To deploy, I"m using SCCM, but it basically is just like using a GPO. I've gotten the import wizard to not display, make FireFox NOT be the default browser, but cannot get the default homepage to work.

Here's what I've tried:
- Applied firefox.adm and mozilla.adm to boith Computers & Users with http://myoracle.abc.com/ (what I want my homepage to be)
- Verified GPO was applied by running gpresult
- Still defaults to FireFox Google. When I go to set it, the homepage is blank, though.
- Extracted MSI and am deploying it from extracted path
- Edited browser.startup.homepage in firefox.js to http://myoracle.abc.com/ - nogo (screenshot below)
- I'd prefer this method so that the homepage would be set immediatly after installation instead of waiting for a GP refresh

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
Attachments
2.png
firefox.js
2.png (52.65KiB)Viewed 8824 times

DraconPern
Site Admin

Re: Cannot Get FireFox HomePage To Work

Post by DraconPern » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:56 pm

Are you trying to lock the homepage path so the user can't change it?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

BzowK

Post by BzowK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:18 pm

No, I'm trying to get the default Homepage set.

Currently, I deploy Firefox via SCCM. Once deployed, I want the user (on first run) to be able to open Firefox and have it go directly to "http://myoracle.abc.com" automatically without any prompts. I already have gotten it to not prompt for the IE import wizard as well as not prompting for default browser, but can't get the default homepage to work.

Also - our company's internet does NOT use a proxy, but does require domain authentication before it can be accessed. IE uses passthrough authentication from the user's domain credentials so that the user isn't prompted to enter them, but Firefox doesn't offer that (at least by default.) Is there a way to enable that as well?

Thanks!

BzowK

Post by BzowK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:30 pm

One more thing...

I think that my problems would be solved if I could get my GPOs to work.

I imported moth the mozilla.adm and firefox.adm into both Computers and Users in a GPO. I set the settings (like homepage and a couple others), but when I log into a computer and run Firefox (newest FM build), nothing seems to apply. I have verified that the policies are getting to the workstation by running a gpresult. Still, nogo.

Any ideas? The workstations are running XP.

Thanks!

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:32 pm

The default prefs are only used when a profile is created. So if a user has used firefox before, the settings won't do anything. You should use the lockPref section to set browser.startup.homepage. That way they'll go to that page when firefox starts.

You mentioned using firefox.adm. That should have worked. If you go to about:config can you see if the status of those settings are correct? Also which version of windows are you having this issue on and is it 64bit?

BzowK

Post by BzowK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:43 pm

OK - I figured it all out. The GPO issues were due to me using the wrong Firefox version. I installed the FM and it was fine.

The only thing left is the pass through authentication issue. Is what I'm wanting possible?

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:20 pm

set network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris to a url that you want to use passthrough on. It is a comma and space delimited list of URLs.