4.0 release notes

DraconPern
Site Admin
4.0 release notes

Post by DraconPern » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:04 am

Since there's been a few questions on firefox, let' me answer them all here.

All the available languages will be ready 3/29. They are building now.

Building Firefox 4 requires a lot more time now, ~3-4 mins each instead of ~1-2 mins before, so the wait time in the packager will be longer. This is mostly due to filehash generation on a larger number of files.

With Firefox 4, the shortcut icon on the desktop will now be just a regular shortcut instead of a shell namespace. This means if you like to remove it, just remove the item in the Shortcut table.

Some people noted that they can no longer find files to make preference customization in MSI for Mozilla Firefox. Additionally, the chrome file and language pack file format have changed, and this means the way to integrate language packs has changed. To fix both of these issues, I am extracting the chome files out (even for MSI for Mozilla Firefox instead of just packing the files as is). This means you'll be able to find and edit the files within the chrome directory. Even though I have already released en-US for version 4, I am going to generate new en-US packages for both MSI for Mozilla Firefox and FMFirefoxCE based on the new file layout. Functionally they are the same, with the same files, just a different directory layout. If you have already deployed version 4 and also want to deploy the new package when it's released, be sure to rename it to something like FMFirefoxCE-4.0-1.msi, so you can differentiate between the two packages. If you don't need the new layout, there's no need to use the new package.

*just waiting for the builds to finish now*
FrontMotion Lead Developer

DragonHawk

Re: 4.0 release notes

Post by DragonHawk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:21 am

Thanks, DraconPern! You rock!

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Community members has found some bugs that warrented a repackaging of all the v4 msi's. Specifically, the following two. I think there's probably other functionality that has subtley stopped working.
http://forums.frontmotion.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1063
http://forums.frontmotion.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1056

To avoid confusion, please check the digital signature's timestamp on the new msi. They are dated April 2nd.

Purecut

Post by Purecut » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Hallo,

I found anther bug in 4.0. If I call a external SSL page everything works fine, but when I try to open a ssl site from our internal intranet like https://dc-01:3010 I got an error that the url is wrong and cannot be opened. In ff 3.16 community everything was fine. I deployed ff 4.0 via GPO. When I install the normal ff 4.0 than the internal ssl works fine.

I also miss the ff picture in your current built. If I open the help - about than the left side shows no ff image.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:16 pm

I think the new packages should fix that. I just tried an internal (short name) ssl on a none standard port and it was working.

Purecut

Post by Purecut » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:09 am

DraconPern wrote:I think the new packages should fix that. I just tried an internal (short name) ssl on a none standard port and it was working.
Thanks for the update info.
Is the download 4.0 the new or old one in the CCE section. I can not see any change in the version no. on your site.

Thanks

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:49 pm

They are the new version.

CGirardy

Post by CGirardy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:36 am

Thanks DragonPern,
I didn't receive the mail that it was available but I'm building my first package.
I'll be testing upgrade from CE 3.6.15 to 4.0 (I didn't deploy 3.6.16) and let you know if I have any problem.
Your work is really impressive and I really like your reactivity.
Thanks