FM Firefox CE using Nightly Build

naberios
FM Firefox CE using Nightly Build

Post by naberios » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:09 am

In my testing I've found a few things that are preventing me from deploying the newer versions of FM Firefox CE. It appears that you are using the nightly build package to create the MSIs which results in a few undesirable differences from a standard Firefox install. The Firefox button in the upper right is blue instead of the normal orange. The application identifies itself as MozillaDeveloperPreview. This can be seen in the jump list menu which tends to be used quite a bit. Also, the about page shows that it is a nightly build. While this may not seem like a big deal, my users notice and it causes a lot of unnecessary calls to IT. Personally I'd rather wait a little longer for a new MSI and have everything as close to a standard install as possible.

Thanks for all your work.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Re: FM Firefox CE using Nightly Build

Post by DraconPern » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:56 pm

The default branding is the nightly build branding, but it's built from mozilla's source drop.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

vtk

Post by vtk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Hey DP;

Yea, I'm gonna kinda second this one. As part of our pushes we pin firefox to the start menu and taskbar for them. As indicated above, when you pin 9.0.1 browser it shows as MozillaDeveloperPreview. Also when you go to Help-->About it states "Nightly". Is there something that could be done about this? I realize your comment was more along the lines of: "Well, I grab from Mozilla." but if you can help us out with this I'm sure you'd continue gaining further grins from sysadmins/IT desks all across the world! :) *not that we're not grinning as it is with such an awesome deployment method*

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:09 pm

lol, I hear you on that. I'll look into it. :)

farmers

Post by farmers » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:18 pm

In the Packager, how often is that build updated from the nightly builds?

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:36 pm

The Packager only has the same build as the release ones. So you know that if you need to go back to a previous version, it's guaranteed to be the same.

naberios

Post by naberios » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:57 pm

The fact that the file description of firefox.exe does not match a standard release is becoming a serious issue. After updating Symantec Endpoint the file is now detected as a threat because the description isn't what it should be. Having the file description be ~APPVERSION or MOZILLADEVELOPERPREVIEW is no longer just odd for users to see but is causing Symantec to remove the file which kills firefox.