Secure site issue with self-signed certs

farmers
Secure site issue with self-signed certs

Post by farmers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:31 pm

I'm now having the same problems I did with v6 of Frontmotion. It was fixed and working in version 7 and 8, but is now broken again.

I get "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded" for any site that is using self-signed certs. We have several on-site and cannot access these servers unless I add exception manually. I can go to Tools->Options->Advanced->Encryption->View Certificates->Add Exception, and then the sites work. I have 300 computers to allow that for, so doing manually is not feasible. Is there another way to push out these certs for Frontmotion?

This is confirmed to be working with Mozilla Firefox 9.0.1 which was installed over Frontmotion, but broken again after re-installing Frontmotion Firefox 9.0.1.

I started another thread called "Adding RSS Feeds" as I didn't know the secure sites issue came back also. That's why they are separate. They can be merged if needed.

This is my previous thread:
http://forums.frontmotion.com/viewtopic ... =rss#p4373

This is another thread related to the issue I'm having:
http://forums.frontmotion.com/viewtopic ... 1134#p4372

farmers

Re: Secure site issue with self-signed certs

Post by farmers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:23 pm

As a temporary workaround, I tried copying the key3.db, cer8.db, and the cert-override.txt files to another profile and that work for that profile just fine. Is there a way to copy files into the Firefox profile directories for every user? I can also add them manually, but if I could push to user's directories, then that would be ideal.

farmers

Post by farmers » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Any idea on when this will be fixed? Do we have to wait for next version of Frontmotion or can another build be posted? This is turning into a bigger deal than I thought since I can't figure out a way to push out the exceptions to all users. Would rolling back to 8.0.1 be my best option at this point?

dcherry88

Post by dcherry88 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:07 am

We are having the same issues. We just deployed Microsoft Forefront TMG for our filtering setup. Due to the need to push proxy settings to firefox, we swapped to the CE version and setup our adm files to push via group policy. We get the same errors. I pushed back to 8.0.1 on my PC for testing, and found i no longer error, but get the untrusted certficiate page now instead. I have 1000+ pcs to deal with for this. Did you find any solution farmers? Anybody else by chance.

farmers

Post by farmers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Rolling back to 8.0.1 has fixed it for us. I use ZENworks, so I just rolled back the installation package and it installed 8.0.1. with no issues. Not sure how to do that in AD environment easily, assuming that is what your are using. This first appeared in 6.0.1 and then then fixed in 7.0.1 and 8.0.1 were fine. I use regular Firefox on my machine, so didn't see the issue until I had pushed it out. All I can recommend is TEST each version of Frontmotion when it is released. I tried building my own packager in a Packager trial, but same result. Hoping for a v10 release soon. If not, then rolling back is your best bet if you can do it.