Removing .EXE entries from Add/Remove Progs

facemelt
Removing .EXE entries from Add/Remove Progs

Post by facemelt » Mon May 14, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi,

I know you have a service and you do it very well. I have tried installing it and it works great except for the problem with IE being set at the default and still prompting if it can be set as default when opened after using your MSI.

I have a question on how the MSI is removing previous versions of firefox that were installed with Mozilla's installer. I see custom cleanup functions, and I can export the table entries and import them into mine, but I am missing more than that. My work wants me to repackage this on my own with AdminStudio 10 for various reasons and will not be able to use your excellent MSI :(

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is confusing, everything I have learned of repackaging I read in the last week.

facemelt

Re: Removing .EXE entries from Add/Remove Progs

Post by facemelt » Tue May 15, 2012 1:50 pm

I have found the CA totalfirefoxremoval, but don't exactly see what it does, can you elaborate on how this works?

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue May 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Here's what it does. the * denotes operation if there is an .exe install.

Remove old msi firefox install.
Set IE as the default browser
*Find the .exe install key if there is one and get the install location.
*Remove the .exe install files, and the ARP entry. Doesn't remove the content of the plugins directory.
Remove the start menu icon
Remove the desktop icon
Install firefox
set firefox as the default browser if set
FrontMotion Lead Developer

facemelt

Post by facemelt » Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Again, thanks for your help. I was looking for more specifics but I was able to to do it by reversing the process. Thanks to all your hard work.

I exported the binary data from custombin along with the corresponding table entry, then exported the corresponding table entries for installexecutesequence and customaction for totalfirefoxremoval. With these I could import them into the my own MSI and have it do the heavy lifting you made. I really do appreciate the hardwork you put in this and don't want to make it seem I am stealing this from you.

While looking at this, is there a reason there are 2 custom action's for this? TotalFirefoxRemoval and PropertyCa03_TotalFirefoxRemoval. Even more so why is TotalFirefoxRemoval marked as not Installed as the condition in the installexecutesequence?