Upgrading to FireFox13 through LUP

cheeverr
Upgrading to FireFox13 through LUP

Post by cheeverr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:31 am

Our school has been using the LUP (Local Update Publisher) to push FireFox, Java, and Flash out through our Microsoft WSUS. It's been working great until FireFox 13..... The last update we pushed out was FireFoxESR 10.0.3 and now I've been asked to push FireFox 13. The update fails on my test machine (Windows 7). The old version is uninstalled, then the update fails with code 76D.

Is it even possible to upgrade from ESR 10.0.3 to 13 via this method?

Thanks!

DraconPern
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading to FireFox13 through LUP

Post by DraconPern » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 pm

That is supported. on your test machine, install the msi with logging turned on. something like the following. attach the file or email privately.

msiexec /i \\path to file\FirefoxESR-10.0.3-en-US.msi /Lime logfile.txt

If you update to 13, you'll not be using ESR anymore. You probably want to install ESR 10.0.5?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

cheeverr

Post by cheeverr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks very much for the reply. My original download of the MSI must have been corrupt because I couldn't "msiexec /i" and install it. "Invalid installation file." I downloaded again, deleted my LUP update and re-created it and it works now.

I probably shouldn't have started us on the ESR path, because my boss is a programmer and thinks we're getting behind and that he isn't programming for the latest version of FireFox when he sees he has version 10.0.3 and version 13 is out. LOL!

Thanks again!

MonkeyBoy

Post by MonkeyBoy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:18 pm

We decided to push 10.0.x ESR because the sites we rely on are refusing to stay compatible with the constantly-incrementing Chrome & Firefox versions.

Well, they refused Chrome a long, long time ago, but now Firefox has been included thanks to the same reason - a rising tide of compatibility problems as versions are updated.