Firefox 15.01 MSI and mozilla.cfg, local-settings.js......

omen666
Firefox 15.01 MSI and mozilla.cfg, local-settings.js......

Post by omen666 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:31 am

Hi guys,

Hope you can help. I have the 15.0.1 msi from Front Motion and I need to incorporate the above three files (mozilla.cfg, local-settings.js, overide.ini ) in the title into the msi in order so we can restrict users across the estate. I have tried with install shield and slip streamed them in a cab but to no avail.

We deploy this msi not via a GPO but via a tool called BMC Software/marimba. I need to deploy this to some 1500+ users and need to know how I can incorporate these files into the msi.

TIA

jpa

Re: Firefox 15.01 MSI and mozilla.cfg, local-settings.js....

Post by jpa » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:39 pm

I would look at getting the "BMC Software/marimba" tool to deploy the configuration files for you.

I'd think if you have the full Installshield product you should be able to edit the MSI to include and distribute the files for you. Make sure if you add them to the cab you also update the MSI to include where the files should go. I would do a logged install using your modified MSI and see if you can tell why it's not deploying the files as intended.

Sorry that's not a complete answer but I haven't actually done what you're trying to do.

omen666

Post by omen666 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:45 am

Many thanks for the response jpa, I am knew to all this packaging when you are modifying the MSI itself. I have picked up Orca and Admin Studio thus far but only the simple things.

With regards to the issue at hand, we did add the three files into the correct directories, it was when we done this that installshield asks if you want to cab them and slipstream them in. If we launch the msi it seems to work??

Marimba can be a bit finicky, basically it is a tool with a server which you package the applications on and then send them out to the machines which have the marimba client on, far messier than GPO's.

deploying the config files with marimba is an option but we would rather have it as one package rather than dependencies.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this and if so how?

jpa

Post by jpa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 pm

omen666 wrote:With regards to the issue at hand, we did add the three files into the correct directories, it was when we done this that installshield asks if you want to cab them and slipstream them in. If we launch the msi it seems to work??
So what exactly is the problem? If you do a logged install does the log show anything about the new files?

omen666

Post by omen666 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:39 am

Thanks for the response jpa. I started all over again and it has worked this time around what I originally done. Sure I didnt do anything different but all is well. Shall document it for the rest of the team. Thanks for the help again