Firefox 17.0.1 and above - deactivate "save password"

dt2009
Firefox 17.0.1 and above - deactivate "save password"

Post by dt2009 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 am

Hi All,

good day, how are you all. Lots of thanks in advance to all that will take their time to view this post and perhaps even help me with my question.

I was wondering if it is possible to distribute the firefox msi with the option of disabling the "Save password" function right away? And if yes, does anyone have the right command for me?

Second Question, can you automatically distribute addons/plugins alongside the firefox msi, in my case i was thinking of rolling out the mozrepl add-on directly with the installation.

Lots of thanks in advance for your hints and answers, best wishes and a pleasant day/evening to you all

cheers

dt

jpa

Re: Firefox 17.0.1 and above - deactivate "save password"

Post by jpa » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Test this as I haven't.

Administrative install of Firefox (msiexec /a FM.msi)
Edit the FM18.0.1\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\mozilla.cfg file
Add a new lockPref: lockPref("signon.rememberSignons", false);
Install from the admin install point

If you do it this way users can't enable remember passwords. Don't use this if this isn't what you want.

Test, Test, Test

dt2009

Post by dt2009 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:48 am

Hi jpa,

good day, lots of thanks for the reply, will give it a try and let you know if this will be approved and rolled out.

best wishes and a pleasant weekend

cheers

dt

dt2009

Post by dt2009 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:49 am

Hi jpa,

good day/evening, sorry, i know its been quite a while but due to some other projects i havent done much here.

The is actually one more question i have, after changing the .cfg i will need to repackage the msi, right? Or am i missing something here?

If i do need to repackage the msi for distribution are there any tools you may suggest?

Lots of thanks once more for your feedback, best wishes and a pleasant day/evening,

cheers

dt

jpa

Post by jpa » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:28 am

If you have the tools to repackage the MSI then you might as well just edit the cfg file and save the new msi.

My original procedure was to create an Administrative install point, edit what you want and then install from there. No need to repackage.

MHX

Post by MHX » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:15 am

Hi,

we use FirefoxCE and the provided GPOs.
To prevent saving of passwords, we set these values in the GPOs:
signon.prefillForms = false
signon.rememberSignons = false

Then you can install the provided FirefoxCE MSI on all clients without modifying a cfg.

-Michael