Firefox Breaks Programs and Features List

Serenity772
Firefox Breaks Programs and Features List

Post by Serenity772 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm in a domain environment with approx. 160 users. We use the "FirefoxESR-17.0.1-en-US.msi" to deploy Firefox to our users via the "Install Program from Network" option in Control Panel.

Just recently, we ordered a batch of HP Pro 3500 MicroTower PCs. They come with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Normally, when you open the Programs and Features list, it shows all the installed programs, both 32 and 64 bit. However, with this batch, once we run the MSI from FrontMotion, it removes the 32 bit programs from displaying in the list. None of the other HP Pros we have are doing this, only this most recent shipment.

From researching, I found that the Programs and Features list corresponds to the registry key:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Machines with Firefox are missing all but a handful of the keys listed under Uninstall. I've also found that if I export the key prior to installing Firefox and restore it after installing, then all of the programs display correctly with no apparent issues, e.g. I can uninstall and reinstall programs from the list without issue.

We've tried using the MSI without going through the control panel, as well as updating to the MSI for Firefox 24, but the issue still occurs. The only way it doesn't break is to use the .exe file from Mozilla's site directly.

We're using the registry backup and restore as a workaround at the moment, but does anyone know why this is occurring?

DraconPern
Site Admin

Re: Firefox Breaks Programs and Features List

Post by DraconPern » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:44 am

I made some test changes to the MSI. Please try this one, and let me know if the problem is resolved. The file is signed. http://hicap.frontmotion.com/Firefox/Be ... -en-US.msi
FrontMotion Lead Developer

Serenity772

Re: Firefox Breaks Programs and Features List

Post by Serenity772 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:53 am

Thank you, DraconPern.

We tested installing the new MSI on the HP computers with luck. This version doesn't break the Programs and Features list.
We've also tested it on several other models of computers we use here and found no issues.

We'll use this to replace the current MSI in our Group Policy, and will provide an update if we run into any more problems.

Thank you, again. :)