Firefox uninstall

jedflash
Firefox uninstall

Post by jedflash » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:44 am

Hi All,

We are having a problem with upgrading from the frontmotion firefox MSI and back to the firefox.exe direct from Mozilla.

Then the frontmotion msi version is updated to the Mozilla .exe version firefox then opens but you are not able to open any tabs or the add on - safe mode does not make a difference.

It seems that once the frontmotion msi is used we can never use use the exe even if I completely uninstall and cclean the temp files, registry and remove the profile.

Has anyone else come across this as we are moving away from installing via msi and moving to the exe direct from Mozilla using the updates via Fsecure.

Thanks for your help - I am completely stuck.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Re: Firefox uninstall

Post by DraconPern » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:38 pm

Sad to see you go! Have you uninstalled the MSI or was the .exe installed over the MSI?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

jedflash

Post by jedflash » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:19 am

I have tried uninstalling the MSI first and CCleaning, just uninstalling the MSI and installing the exe over the top. The problem i get is that the installation completes but when i open firefox you can only have one tab. If you click onto the open new tab nothing happens. this happens in safe mode too and i cannot access the adons. if i then got back and install the FM msi its all works again.

Thanks for your help and we are not fully looking to move away from FM MSI but more testing all avenues.

Cheers

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:55 pm

Do you have any user extensions installed that may be preventing tabs from working? or may be upgrading/downgrading versions?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

vikramanandji

Post by vikramanandji » Wed May 28, 2014 4:04 am

Dear Admin,
I am having similar issue, While upgrade from Fronmotion firefox to Mozilla firefox, Noting is working. However I have found one work around i.e. renaming the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\components\components.manifest

But It dosnt seems to be a good solution when number counts to thousands. It will be really difficult to do.

Could you please suggest me that is it possible to install Mozilla exe with option to uninstall old version (Mozilla/Frontmotion FF) first(not an upgrade)?

or
Delete the components folder which is not there in Mozilla FF.

Regards,
Vikram

joestern

Post by joestern » Wed May 28, 2014 12:09 pm

You can remove an unwanted file from computers using Group Policy Preferences.

vikramanandji

Post by vikramanandji » Thu May 29, 2014 4:10 am

I request you to please elaborate how to do that?

joestern

Post by joestern » Thu May 29, 2014 2:25 pm

In Group Policy Preferences, select FIles. Right click and select New | File. Change the action to Delete.

Test before deploying, obviously.