Removing Desktop Shortcuts

Andre
Removing Desktop Shortcuts

Post by Andre » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:31 pm

How do I remove FireFox shortcut from desktop? Firefox shortcuts appears after reboot. We waont to use ZenWorks NAL Icon instead.
I've tried to direct edit the MSI with no avail. any suggestion?
Any help is appreciated.

ps: u guys doing a great job, Thx!!

bbmason

Post by bbmason » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:52 am

Did you ever find out how to remove the desktop icon? I want to deploy the firefox MSI across our school network, but don't want that desktop icon!

Will_Christie

Cleaning up short-cuts.

Post by Will_Christie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:49 pm

Look under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - CLSID and delete the {EC8030F7-C20A-464F-9B0E-13A3A9E97384} key.

You'll also need to delete the same key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SOFTWARE - Microsoft - Windows - CurrentVersion - Explorer - Desktop - NameSpace.

Finally, with ZENworks, make an app object called "Desktop cleanup" (or somesuch). Look at its properties, and under Distribution Options - Icons/Shortcuts, tell it to delete the "Mozilla Firefox" shortcut (found on our workstations in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop). You can include the removal of the reg entries mentioned above. Run this app object AFTER you've installed the MSI program. (You might want to make an install-only app object, and chain the MSI installer and the desktop clean-up together, in addition to any plugins that you're going to install it with.)

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:50 pm

I have created a transform file that removes the desktop icon.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

mantonson

Post by mantonson » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 pm

Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but where whould I get said transform, and how would I use it? As I understand it, I would apply the transform to the msi file before deploying it, and I'd have to set an option when deploying it via GPO? All I want to do is deploy without that pesky desktop icon.