FrontMotion MSIs NOT obsolete

ldlx
FrontMotion MSIs NOT obsolete

Post by ldlx » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi,

just for the record... Mozilla has begun releasing MSIs for Firefox. BUT:
- there's no GUI
- customizations have to be done through "Properties" Table instead of Shortcut/Folder-tables
- according to this: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... installers the MSI "is a wrapper of the exe full installer"

So FrontMotion still seems to have the better MSIs :-)

Kind regards, ldlx

farmersWPSD

Re: FrontMotion MSIs NOT obsolete

Post by farmersWPSD » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:22 am

As for MSIs, yes, but there is an enterprise (ESR) version directly from Mozilla with current policies, also. And there is no lag time with updates. If you can deploy EXE, that's the better option, IMHO. I used FMF for many years and still recommend for MSIs.

ldlx

Post by ldlx » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:48 am

Mozilla does provide MSIs, but that are just EXE wrappers. But you can use the Frontmotion Firefox MSIs together with the group policy templates provided by Mike Kaply. So the only problem is to provide new MSI installers in short time.

I created a ticket at the Mozilla support forum... to pick up the FrontMotion MSIs as regular corporate installers: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1254500

marc.bau

Post by marc.bau » Wed May 15, 2019 10:02 am

I had discussion with Mike Kaply as he seems to be the project manager. His setup developer also answered and said they cannot implement an native good MSI as this would not fit into their build system and standard update process. I complained that MSI should not have an updater and need to be a full package and not an MST. Also offered help, but they seems to ignore the business requirements they are building the MSI for.

There was a case in bugzilla about a full fledged MSI, but they closed it. So maybe someone opened it again... not searched for it.

I think you need to send all your complain to Mike Kaply to push things. Not sure what the problem is of using WiX to build the setup in their build system. Others can do MSI builds, too.

FrontMotion MSI should be re-created with WiX and cleaned up. I'm using it and it works fine, but it looks not very clean to me from the internals. I would never use these bad Mozilla EXE wrapper... I need full controll with MST, too.