Permission Error Deploying FF on Active Directory

BWright
Permission Error Deploying FF on Active Directory

Post by BWright » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:28 pm

Hey, I'm having trouble getting FF 1.5.0.1 to install using a GPO in our active directory tree. We're running 2003 Server and XP Pro. The policy is set as a user policy in it's own GPO - it assigns FF to be installed at login. The policy works fine for domain administrators, but doesnt work for normal domain users. Obviously I've come to the conclusion that something is wrong with the permissions, but I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'll admit I have very limited experience using Active Directory, especially in regards to using GPO's to deploy software. Any and all advice/assistance anybody can offer would be great.

Thanks,
Ben Wright
URI MU Systems

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:44 am

Do you mean you unable to install the MSI or is the MSI being installed and Firefox isn't running?

If it is the first case, check the permission on the MSI and also on the directory it is in. Make sure users are allowed read access. Typically the group 'Everyone' is used.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

BWright

Post by BWright » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:06 am

The MSI file fails to install at all, although firefox will show up in add/remove, and if I try to do anything to it, it will disappear (so it starts installing and then fails).

If I run the MSI manually I get a permission error (As i would expect becuase it would be running under the user's credentials in that case)

If I login to a workstation as a domain admin, the install works perfectly.

The MSI files are stored in a file share that all domain users have read access to. I'm not sure what you mean by permission on the MSI itself, it should be inheriting permissions from the folder - i havn't changed anything.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:02 am

Make sure you are doing a Published Deployment
FrontMotion Lead Developer