Trying to understand Firefox MSI file

Myung
Trying to understand Firefox MSI file

Post by Myung » Wed May 24, 2006 9:15 am

Hi, I am trying to understand how FrontMotion created working MSI file for Mozilla Firefox. I opened the file with ORCA and I think, I understand most of it except one thing.

In the Binary table, when they defined DllCaB01 and DllCaB02, how do they defined binary data? I can not see which filename it was used. When I select Browse button, I see it's own MSI file and I don't think that's it. I believe DllCaB01 is calling uninstall.exe, but I don't know how to define that.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Myung

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Thu May 25, 2006 2:34 pm

They don't have a filename because the MSI assigns them during runtime. And thanks for making me notice that there's two entries. They are actually the same dll, but I just noticed that the generator is putting it in twice.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

Myung

Post by Myung » Tue May 30, 2006 7:29 am

Thanks for the reply. What I am trying to do is using the ORCA to modify my MSI file to do uninstall of previous Firefox versions. By following your script, I was able to make it work, but I had to copy your Binary table fields of DllCaB01 and DllCaB02. I tried to use all dlls came with the installer in the Binary Data fields, but that did not work.

Can you tell me if DllCaB01 and DllCaB02 has any meaning? Looking at the MakeMSI document briefly, DllCa is a command for the custom actions. Sorry to ask such an elementary questions.

Thanks,
Myung