How on earth are you doing....

CGirardy
How on earth are you doing....

Post by CGirardy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:19 am

.... to make Firefox work with the GPO ?

I'm trying to understand what are the options that makes it work with the GPO and ADM files and I'm still unable to understand.

I have tried the wetdog software but it doesn't work.

I'm really missing something here and I don't exactely know what. Can anyone help me please ?
Thanks

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:12 am

Simply, I have two Firefox's. One of the official binary/exe/dll, and another one that is custom compiled, the community edition. Only the community edition works with the ADM that is on the site.

I haven't even heard of 'wetdog' until now...
FrontMotion Lead Developer

CGirardy

Post by CGirardy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:16 am

I have seen that and tested your version but I'm trying to make my own MSI with my own extensions for 400 PC and I would like to use the GPOs to configure Firefox.

I have succeeded in doing the MSI but cannot find the way to use the GPO. :?: :?: :?:

I also have to make a french version of this MSI.

CGirardy

Post by CGirardy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:34 am

Can't you help me by giving me a hint ?
Thanks

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:58 pm

Here's instruction on using the adm to configure the GPO

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;816662

CGirardy

Post by CGirardy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:22 am

Hi,
I'm sorry but I think you didn't get what I was asking.
I know how to use an ADM file.

All I don't understand is how do you do to make Firefox work with ADM files ?.... I tried to install the English basic version and use your ADM to configure the default Homepage for example and it doesn't work. It totally ignores the ADM configuration I'm trying to do.
I think there's something to do to make Firefox accept the ADM configuration.
As I have to do the same thing in French.. I have to understand what do I have to do to make Firefox work with ADM files ?

Thanks

Trippynet

Post by Trippynet » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:49 am

There's nothing more you should need to do other than to install Firefox Community Edition and ensure that the group policy which holds the ADM settings is being correctly applied to the machine which FFCE is installed upon. That's what I've done where I work and the result is FFCE working quite happily using the ADM settings. I'm assuming you're not trying to use the ADMs with the original Mozilla Firefox because that won't work. The ADMs only work with the modified FFCE version.

CGirardy

Post by CGirardy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:06 am

Ok, I don't think you get my point.
I don't wanna use Frontmotion's MSI version. I just wanna use the ADM files to configure the original version of Mozilla.
I have to make my own MSI with the french version so I cannot use this version and I also wanna add more extensions to my MSI.

Anyway, forget about my request.
I have found a way to use the ADM files with the regular Mozilla version through an extension made by Mark Sammons.
I'm now working on the french MSI.

See you and thanks anyway

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:32 am

A french version has been posted.

CGirardy

Post by CGirardy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:39 am

Thanks a lot, I'm going to give it a try this afternoon

sancomp

Post by sancomp » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:07 pm

CGirardy wrote:Ok, I don't think you get my point.
I don't wanna use Frontmotion's MSI version. I just wanna use the ADM files to configure the original version of Mozilla.
I have to make my own MSI with the french version so I cannot use this version and I also wanna add more extensions to my MSI.

Anyway, forget about my request.
I have found a way to use the ADM files with the regular Mozilla version through an extension made by Mark Sammons.
I'm now working on the french MSI.

See you and thanks anyway
I've used the extension, but consider:

If you install the extension to the user profiles, you will need to install it for everyone and they can easily delete it.

If you install the extension globally on each machine, they can still delete it if Administrators and they can probably disable the extension even if they aren't admins.

I've been working on a way around this very issue that lets you use your own Firefox installs, distribute policies, centrally manage extensions, etc. Basically everything an admin could want in a browser. If you'd like more info let me know. I'm hoping some/all of these ideas can be incorporated into future FrontMotion distributions if they will allow it.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:26 pm

I'll always welcome new ideas!

CGirardy

Post by CGirardy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:46 pm

sancomp wrote: I've used the extension, but consider:

If you install the extension to the user profiles, you will need to install it for everyone and they can easily delete it.

If you install the extension globally on each machine, they can still delete it if Administrators and they can probably disable the extension even if they aren't admins.

I've been working on a way around this very issue that lets you use your own Firefox installs, distribute policies, centrally manage extensions, etc. Basically everything an admin could want in a browser. If you'd like more info let me know. I'm hoping some/all of these ideas can be incorporated into future FrontMotion distributions if they will allow it.
Hi,
Of course, I'm very interested in what you're proposing.
I've just spent 4 days on 11 workstations in Paris to make all the FireFox installations look alike and, yesterday, I saw the new version 1.5.0.5 so I had to go back on all computers to make the upgrade..... and I have 400 workstations in Grasse to take care of.
I won't be able to do anything unless I get a centralized administration. And all I can say is that, if I cannot do it easier, I'll have to go back to IE because the updates and the customization is already available.
I really want to impose FireFox in my company's network so I'm opened to every proposal that would help me administering it.