Updates via MSP?

4u3u
Updates via MSP?

Post by 4u3u » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:56 am

Hi,
I have a question regarding FMFFCE upates.

As I understand currently you release new versions as full MSI files only. The question is:
Do you plan to release updates in form of Windows Installer patches (MSP files) also?

You see, in corporate environments we often use AIPs (Administrative Installation Points) to deploy software. The way you update software that is installed using AIP is apply an msp patch to it and then redeploy app (usually through GPO). Without MSPs I cannot really manage updates through admin install points. So I ended up creating my own MSP by comparing two MSI files.

Even in other deployment scenarious where AIPs are not onvolved, MSPs could be quite useful. After all, this is the default way MSI-based software is supposed to be updated.

Thank you.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:56 pm

MSP's aren't being used for several reasons. Even though the version increments are small, all the files have been recompiled and thus are not the same as the old version. MSP are used only when a few files have changed and this is not the case. Additionally applying an MSP to an AIP is equivalent to performing a new Administrative install to the same location using the new MSI.

Let's say your AIP is at version 1.5.0.5. You create an MSP based on the difference between the 1.5.0.5 and 1.5.0.6 MSI's to get A.MSP. You then apply A.MSP to the AIP. Now your AIP is at version 1.5.0.6, and you issue a redeploy.

Or, you can perform an admin install of the 1.5.0.6 on top of the 1.5.0.5 AIP. You will find the content is the same as the above bit for bit*. You issue a redeploy.

* The only possible difference is if the new version doesn't have a file that was in the older version. In that case, the AIP will contain extra files, but it will not affect client installations as it is controlled via the updated MSI file.

And this is important no matter which method you use, which Microsoft doesn't mention very often: You must make sure no user is using the AIP while it is being updated!
FrontMotion Lead Developer