Firefox opening duplicate windows

airrun
Firefox opening duplicate windows

Post by airrun » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:06 pm

On my Active Directory deployment of Firefox CE, some computers seem to be working without any issues, but on others, whenever a link is opened (ie html link on the desktop), Firefox opens two copies of the window, usually with one shrunk down so it's barely noticeable. Any idea what may be causing this?

I tried multiple times on the same link, and sometimes it opens two full-size windows, sometimes two tabs in the same window, and sometimes two very small windows, but always two of the same page!!!

airrun

Post by airrun » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:39 pm

Okay, so as I look into this more, it seems my computer is about the only one that isn't having this issue of opening two windows when opening a link.

Could this be because I have FFCE set to auto-install on login? This is the only difference I can think of between my installation and everyone else's. I was testing it on my computer before pushing it out with a GPO, so I installed it by going to Add New Programs, not by auto-installing.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:51 am

which language are you using?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

airrun

Post by airrun » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:43 am

I'm using English.

I tried doing an uninstall and reinstall (through the Add New Programs tab) and now, although Firefox is set as the default browser, Windows is treating IE as the default (IE also says it's not the default).

Wil

Post by Wil » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:18 am

I’m experiencing the same issue with desktop links, with version 2.0.0.3 and 2.0.0.4 EN US. But I think its my GPO not the Firefox CE. Because, when I install Firefox CE on a non-managed system it works fine. My GPO can be found at the URL below and is in PDF format (about 31k). This is mostly my old GPO from Firefox 1.5.x. Additionally I am having issues with multiple tabs opening: same type of thing with the multiple windows but with tabs.
http://abacus.bates.edu/~wquenga/FirefoxCE.pdf

airrun

Post by airrun » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:13 pm

Could someone confirm this theory?:

It seems that Firefox is having problems on the computers where Firefox installed automatically upon logon, before I disabled that due to the issues of double windows opening. If it was installed not automatically by the GPO (i.e. the user selects firefox from the start menu, thus starting the installer), then it seems to work correctly.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:37 pm

There's an error in firefox.adm processing in 2.0.0.3 and .4 and it affects the per user settings. Will be fixed in the next release.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:40 pm

for the double window issue, on machines that are affected, can you check (using about:config) to see if there's only one url specified in the homepage?

Wil

Post by Wil » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:19 pm

Double windows issue: only one url is specified.
When i open a web link (desktop short cut) for...say webmail. one window opens up to webmail and another window opens with the enforced homepage.

Tabs issue: when i open FireFox CE, two tabs open.
one is the enforced home page and the other is the override home page.
browser.startup.homepage and startup.homepage_override_url

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:23 am

Ah, I believe the problem is because you are setting browser.startup.homepage_override_url

Wil

Post by Wil » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:43 am

removing the setting for; startup.homepage_override_url. resolved the double tab issue.

i set this to override the start page after upgrading.
now i have set; browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone to "ignore"
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Startup.homepage_override_url
seems to work fine - thanks

still having the double-window issue. if the shortcut (on the desktop) just starts FF then i never get double windows. but if the shortcut specifies a site to open i get two sessions of FF.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:42 pm

What content shows in the second window?

Wil

Post by Wil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:39 pm

Both windows display the same content, most of the time. For example, if I have a desktop link to webmail.example.com, when run two instances of Firefox CE open and display webmail.example.com. Most of the time the windows are the same size just offset so you can see there are two.

Sometimes one of the windows is in the upper left corner of the screen and as small as the window can be. When this happens the small window has no content or menu/tool bars, just the title.

The shortcut to launch Firefox CE only opens one instance. As mentioned above, this only happens when my GPO is applied.