Not have Firefox as default browser

none98765
Not have Firefox as default browser

Post by none98765 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:45 pm

I have heard that if you use the msi to install firefox using group policy that you are forced to have firefox as the default browser for your users.

is there a way to have firefox NOT be the default browser, but still be able to manage/update via group policy?

Thnanks

ths

Post by ths » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:32 am

We have just rolled FFCE out on our schools network to give a bit more variety to kids and staff alike, but some of the younger kids (this is a secondary school, so many are only 11 or 12 years old) don't really want to switch from IE as its 'what they know'. Most of the older kids are happy using it, and many of them have thanked us for installing it.
I too would love to see an option to not change the default browser, preferably as a GPO, since it is already deployed.

Assaf

Post by Assaf » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:26 am

You need to create an MST file (transform) and use it in your deployment.
If you are doing a manual deployment you need to invoke the command:
msiexec -i [The FFCE MSI file name] transforms=[The MST file name]
If you are using group policy simply specify this MST in the transform list.

In this transform file you need to change Property\INSTALLLEVEL from 5 to 3.

You can see this in the Feature table, where the feature F_SetDefaultBrowser is only called if installlevel>=4, the other features are installed for installlevel>=3.

Alternatively you could change the installlevel of F_SetDefaultBrowser to 6, or drop the row altogether - but I prefer the least amount of modifications.

To actually create an MST you will need a program such as Microsofts Orca (free).
Last edited by Assaf on Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Assaf

Post by Assaf » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:29 am

P.S

The way the installer is built, turning this feature off actually actively sets IE to be the default browser.

For instance, if you have FF 2.0.0.6 and someone intentionally set FF to be the default browser, after upgrading FF to 2.0.07 with this MST - IE will be the default browser.
It does not retain the current setting, you need to choose between FF and IE, you can't keep the current setting.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:10 pm

You can also do an admin install with the new INSTALLLEVEL. Then point clients to install from the admin install.
FrontMotion Lead Developer