extensions.update

Antti
extensions.update

Post by Antti » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:49 am

Hi.

It seems that extension.update.enabled and extension.update.autoUpdateEnabled are both locked to false. I have them "not configured" in the policy. Users can still update extensions manually. Is there a reason for locking the settings?

elangeland

Post by elangeland » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:00 pm

I am just testing a deployment of 2.0.0.11 - the first time we are deploying Firefox Community Edition rather than just the MSI-packaged Firefox.

I am finding that Firefox shows extension.update.enabled as locked and set to false even though I have set it to enabled in the Group Policy using the mozilla.adm template. I have enabled it under Default Settings as well as under Locked Settings.

Furthermore, none of my Default Settings policies seem to be taking effect.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:18 am

Are you waiting for propagation to happen? It is not instant. Extension update is disabled. Most sites like it that way?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

elangeland

Post by elangeland » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:45 pm

DraconPern wrote:Are you waiting for propagation to happen? It is not instant. Extension update is disabled. Most sites like it that way?
The settings were in the same Group Policy object that deployed the software, so the policy was definitely in effect. I also used gpupdate and gpupdate /force to make extra sure.

Disabling extension updates makes no sense to me unless extension installation is disabled, or there is some other mechanism to manage extension deployment. Having only the update disabled means users will install whatever extensions they want, but will never know when a bugfix - or worse, security update - for one of them is released.

CGirardy

Re: extensions.update

Post by CGirardy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:00 pm

I agree with elangeland.
I don't understand why this is disabled by default. According to me, an extension cannot arm anyone or any computer but I also agree with the Firefox self upgrading being disabled.

Thanks

Oggie

Post by Oggie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:14 am

I have just started trialling the FrontMotion Firefox Community Edition and noticed that the extensions.update.enabled is false and no matter what I set in the Mozilla Advanced Options in Group Policy, I cannot change it. Like elangeland, I have tried waiting, and forcing update with GPUPDATE and it never changes. Is there an error in the ADM file or is FFCE effectively ignoring the policy?
- Peter Ogden

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 am

FFCE is ignoring it at the moment

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:42 pm

Behavior will be changed in 2.0.0.12 where it can be changed (but still locked & disabled by default).

Antti

Post by Antti » Thu May 08, 2008 4:25 am

I still can't get it work. They are still locked to false.

elangeland

Post by elangeland » Thu May 08, 2008 8:40 am

Antti wrote:I still can't get it work. They are still locked to false.
Same for me. I think it was fixed in 2.0.0.12 and broken again in 2.0.0.13 and .14.

Erik