Firefox MSI - Default Browser

dbaddorf
Firefox MSI - Default Browser

Post by dbaddorf » Wed May 07, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm admittedly a newbie on using the Firefox MSI, and I have seen several posts on setting the Default Browser to Firefox (or to IE), but don't know what the conclusions are - Can I get Firefox to be the default browser without the user having to do anything?

I have firefox msi (2.0.0.14 - NOT CE) automatically deployed through AD:
msiexec /a e:\utils\firefox-2.0.0.14-en-US.msi INSTALLLEVEL=1000
installed to E:\software installation\firefox
Computer Software Installation (assigned): e:\software installation\firefox\firefox-2.0.0.14-en-US.msi

I also have configured Group Policy (User Configuration – Administrative Template – Internet Explorer: “Disable changing default browser check” - Enabled) to lock out IE from allowing the user to set IE as the default browser from "IE - Tools - Internet Options - Programs".

However, when a non-administrative user logs in after Firefox is automatically deployed (assigned to the machine), and then they click Start - Run and enter "http://www.frontmotion.com", their system pulls up IE. Then if Firefox is manually launched, then it prompts the user if it should be the default browser. Then if the user runs IE, it also asks if it should be the default browser, even though the option to set it to the default browser is greyed out in Tools - Internet Options - Programs.

Does anyone know if I can get no prompts (from either IE or Firefox) to set the default browser for a non-administrative user (just have it set to Firefox) when using GPO's?

I appreciate anyone's insight! And thanks for the MSI files!

Dave

sstanai

Re: Firefox MSI - Default Browser

Post by sstanai » Thu May 15, 2008 2:44 pm

I haven't found a solution yet, nobody's followed up on my post either. I'm just waiting for FF3, that's supposed to offer msi's with GP control straight from Mozilla.

tin

Re: Firefox MSI - Default Browser

Post by tin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:50 pm

sstanai wrote:I'm just waiting for FF3, that's supposed to offer msi's with GP control straight from Mozilla.
Might not want to hold your breath. That feature is now listed as "cut". I can't see them adding it as a feature to FF3 either. Most likely won't appear until FF4.