Firefox GPO/ADM Questions

jmattia
Firefox GPO/ADM Questions

Post by jmattia » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:51 pm

FrontMotion,

I am attempting to "lock down" Firefox for use within a school domain with Windows Server 2003 domain controllers. Up until now, we have had to resort to using Internet Explorer as that is the only way we can ensure that students cannot use proxies to bypass our content filter.

I originally just imported the firefox.adm into a GPO and changed the appropriate settings. However, as you know, this took no effect on my test installation of Firefox 3.0. Am I correct in saying that in order for the Firefox ADM settings I applied to work the end-client must be your Firefox Community Edition?

If that is the case, do you expect to have a version released for Firefox 3.0 soon? We are re-imaging all school computers within the next two weeks and I need to know if we can safely include Firefox on our standard system image. (Deployment is not a necessary feature at this point, I just need to be able to lock down proxy settings from being used.)

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
John Mattia

Librarian Aaron

Re: Firefox GPO/ADM Questions

Post by Librarian Aaron » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:47 pm

To answer your question, yes you will need to use the MSI installation of Frontmotion Firefox Community Edition. I have deployed this using a GPO across my domain to about 100 machines.

From what I have experienced with Frontmotion is that they are very good about releasing MSI updates a couple weeks after the official Firefox release. Just check back in occasionally to see if its on the download page.

I can't say enough good things about the mozilla.adm Administrator Templates and how it has simplified the configuration for network administrators. For example, I recently had problems with our proxy server. I was able to bypass it through making a change in the GPO and asked staff to restart their computers. Considering that I have three sites and I was at home using a VPN to fix the problem, the Frontmotion Firefox Community Edition has been the perfect solution for our organization.

Regards,
Aaron