Firefox 3.0 CE crashes on startup...

JRJuiliano
Firefox 3.0 CE crashes on startup...

Post by JRJuiliano » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi,

This issue for me is a little different than others I've read here, but if I'm repeating something I already apologize!
Setting up Firefox 3.0 Community Edition (with the versions downloaded after 6 July) to be distributed via group policy.

FF3 is updating from 2.0.0.14 (community edition also). 2.0.0.14 works perfectly.

My test machine in VMWare worked beautifully, but in production I have the following errors after FF3 crashes in the event viewer:

Code: Select all

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.9.0.3094, faulting module , version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
and

Code: Select all

The application, C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 07/07/2008 @ 13:14:36.568 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 002B2656 (xpcom_core!nsQueryInterface__operator())
These are all Windows XP Pro SP3 machines. Returning to the previous 2.0.0.14 version allows us to use Firefox again, but for the life of me I can't get it to work with Firefox 3.0. I've even tried a few times to remove profiles, remove the program and delete the Program Files Firefox folder, etc. I did however get a machine to work by removing programs like OpenOffice.org 2.4, but another machine doesn't even have that installed, which is why it's so frustrating.

Any ideas? Should you need further information, please let me know.

Oh, and I'm also using the Firefox.adm and mozilla.adm templates, although I don't know which versions.

Thanks.

J.R.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Re: Firefox 3.0 CE crashes on startup...

Post by DraconPern » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:02 am

Do you know what extensions you are using?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

JRJuiliano

Post by JRJuiliano » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:19 pm

As far as I can tell there were no extensions added, just the add-ons that come by default with the MSI (acrobat reader, MS DRM, Mozilla Default, Shockwave Flash, Windows Media Plug-in DLL)

Is there any way to definitively say what was installed to help?

I was considering removing the ADM settings completely from GPO to see if that was a cause; do you think that might be a direction to look into?

emeraldtears

Post by emeraldtears » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:10 pm

So have we found anything new about this? I am seeing this problem as well, and with the newer 3.0.1 version. I see lots of posts around the Mozilla forums for the same issue, but no-one is answering...

JRJuiliano

Post by JRJuiliano » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:57 pm

So have we found anything new about this? I am seeing this problem as well, and with the newer 3.0.1 version. I see lots of posts around the Mozilla forums for the same issue, but no-one is answering...
Well we know it's not specific to FrontMotion builds, which I guess is a good thing! :wink:

Funny thing is I can deploy the MSI's with no problems so far when using a VirtualBox installation (VM), using Group Policy. For some reason I can't get it to work properly on a regular workstation. I still need to test more on my end though.

JR