Per computer & per user

cpradier
Per computer & per user

Post by cpradier » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:54 am

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum, I'm trying to convince my company to deploy Firefox on each desktop.

I do require the mozilla.adm level of details, but my IT team say they would prefer to install "Per user", and that it is not possible with mozilla.adm. Is there a precise reason why this is not possible? (Uncompatibilities, some functions not working?)
Is there some trick to use the mozilla.adm per user?

Thanks

DraconPern
Site Admin

Re: Per computer & per user

Post by DraconPern » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:58 am

There's two parts to the answer. One is installing the MSI per machine. The reason why there is not a per user install is because it can cause all sorts of issues with multiple people installing and removing the same MSI. For example, if user1 installs per user, user2 installs per user, then user1 removes per user, the application will be broken for user2. Same can also happen across machines if roaming profile is turned on.

As for not providing per user for mozilla.adm, it is more of a lack of demand. Since the packages are geared toward deployments in large installations where settings are locked to enforce company policy, using a per user setting that can be manually overriden by the user doesn't make sense.

Hope that answers your question!
-Eric
FrontMotion Lead Developer

cpradier

Re: Per computer & per user

Post by cpradier » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:13 am

That answers. Thank you!