default broswer and you have been upgraded webpage

insurin
default broswer and you have been upgraded webpage

Post by insurin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:16 am

Firsty I would like to thank all for this utility, it is much appreciated.

I have read on here about issues with Firefox becoming the default browser. I work in a college and have already created the student image and it has been rolled out. I have IE7 and Firefox 3 installed but it's the normal install of Firefox from Mozilla. To get round this I have just used gpo and assigned the Frontmotion install of firefox which is good. I have 2 issues

1. Because my users get their profile settings from the Default profile folder when logging on to a pc for the first time, upon opening up Frontmotion Firefox, they are presented with 2 tabs, the first is the 'You have been upgraded to Fronmotion Firefox and the second tabs is my homepage. The trouble is different students use different computers on a regular basis and therefore will keep recieving this extra tab whenever logging onto a different computer. I just want the homepage tab to be displayed so help on this would be good.

2. Already discussed, I do not want Firefox to become the default browser upon install. I have read a bit about some options on misexec but not entirely sure how to do it. If someone could enlighten me, I would be grateful.

thanks

insurin

Re: default broswer and you have been upgraded webpage

Post by insurin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:41 am

update:

I have uncommented the following 2 lines within "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 5\defaults\pref\firefox-branding.js"

//pref("startup.homepage_override_url","http://%LOCALE%.www.mozilla.com/%LOCALE%/%APP%/%VERSION%/whatsnew/");
//pref("startup.homepage_welcome_url","http://%LOCALE%.www.mozilla.com/%LOCALE%/%APP%/%VERSION%/firstrun/");

This stops the new tab being added. As I will need to do this on every computer (500), I will have to knock up a script but thats no problem. This is problem 1 resloved unless anyone has an better way.

Problem 2 I still have

problem 3 (new) I have just found out when clicking on my webmail link on our website, I get a "Secure Connection Failed" to get round this I need to click on "Or you can add an Exception" which then allows me to add it. Is there a way of adding this site within the mozilla.adm

Thanks

insurin

Post by insurin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:21 am

update:

I have managed to get firefox installed as default browser thanks to this forum, my steps were as follows

download community edition of Frontmotion Firefox into c:\firefox

in a command prompt at "c:\firefox\msiexec /a FMFirefoxCE-3.0.1-en-US.msi INSTALLLEVEL=3"

This installs a new msi file and program folder to a network share for you to use when applying via group policy. I ended up with a new firefox.msi and program folder at a network share. Within the Program folder, you can navigate to \defaults\pref\firefox-branding.js and uncomment the lines mentioned previously to get rid of the new tab. When installing from this new msi, it must be copying the files within this program folder.

Now from group policy, you can install by using msiexec /i (newly created msi) INSTALLLEVEL=3

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:15 pm

Once you run msiexec with INSTALLLEVEL=3, you can just reference the generated msi files from the GPO.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

Inexor

Post by Inexor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:56 am

Do you really mean "uncomment" the lines in the firefox-branding.js, as in remove the // from the line? Because the line starts uncommented and adding the double slash converts the line to a comment (or disables the setting.