Practical problem with FFCE

omniHOAX
Practical problem with FFCE

Post by omniHOAX » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:17 am

Heya,

I've been toying around with your FFCE package and must say I really like it. It's stable, pushable and remotely manageable! Even though it works correctly, I'm running in to a bit of a practical problem.

There's a proxy server running in the network. The IE users get the proxy from the group policy and since we found out about FFCE the FireFox users will have their settings locked sooner or later as well. Only thing bugging me here is: the users running FireFox are developers. Developers tend to have local admin rights. I've been testing for myself with local admin and this is what happens:

1. First I get the FFCE package pushed, works like a charm.
2. I'm an 'angry user' who doesn't want to go through a proxy so I download FireFox from mozila.com
3. I install FF and reboot
4. I open FFCE and it starts installing now, but gives me an error:

'The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2324.

The FireFox I just downloaded and installed works fine (thus allowing me to bypass the proxy settings) and the FFCE package doesn't get pushed again because it's already there.

Is there any workaround that any of you know of or do we have to get rid of the local admin rights (which will infuriate the developers :roll:)?
There's only 10 kind of people: those who understand binaries and those who don't.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Re: Practical problem with FFCE

Post by DraconPern » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:07 am

hum... sound like the FFCE repair mechanism isn't working correctly. Let me check into it.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

omniHOAX

Post by omniHOAX » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 am

Any news?

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:33 pm

If you want reinstall for all workstations, you can use AD's republish feature. If you want to just fix the location application, you can do a normal install and it will repair. Perhaps you should put your developers in to a different OU and use seperate settings instead?
FrontMotion Lead Developer