Dekstop Icon

deejay
Dekstop Icon

Post by deejay » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:45 am

Where can i get more info on the desktop icon installed by msi 303?
When deploying we get a "Mozilla Firefox" IE stle icon.
If running: ""C:\Program\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -setDefaultBrowser" we get a official? icon to.

If a user deletes the icon WITHOUT the "shortcut arrow", how to restore it again?

Does Frontmotion deactivate IE from asking default browser and set FF as default browser?

Thanks in advance for any information that answers my que...
Happy Halloween!
/DJ :twisted: :D

DragonHawk

Re: Dekstop Icon

Post by DragonHawk » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:32 pm

deejay wrote:Where can i get more info on the desktop icon installed by msi 303?
I know very little, but I do know that the icon itself appears because of a registry key that tells Windows to display the icon:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{EC8030F7-C20A-464F-9B0E-13A3A9E97384}\
I know this because that's the registry key I drop from the installer to prevent the icon from appearing. :) I suspect there's some kind of Windows DLL or ActiveX control or other mumbo-jumbo that actually makes the icon do the magic Internet icon stuff.
deejay wrote:If a user deletes the icon WITHOUT the "shortcut arrow", how to restore it again?
Try hunting around in the user's registry entries, under:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
I suspect what actually happens when a user "deletes" the icon is that an entry is *created*, telling Windows Explorer not to display the icon anymore.
deejay wrote:Does Frontmotion deactivate IE from asking default browser and set FF as default browser?
I believe the FrontMotion MSI now sets Firefox to be the default browser. You can change this (I'm told) by setting the "INSTALLLEVEL" property to "3" instead of "5". (Yay magic numbers! :) )

Hope this helps!