[server 2003] How to lock settings option by GPO

quickzap
[server 2003] How to lock settings option by GPO

Post by quickzap » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:52 am

I am using mozilla.adm and firefox.adm but I don't know how to lock the settings button for firefox's users.
If someone have an answer
PS: Sorry for my bad english language
Last edited by quickzap on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my bad english speaking :(

quickzap

Re: [server 2003] How to lock settings option by GPO

Post by quickzap » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:46 am

Nobody have an idea ?
I have searching in all the option of the GPO pannel but I speak english very bad and I have perhaps missed an option which manage this ...

GaGirrl

Post by GaGirrl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:10 pm

quickzap wrote:I am using mozilla.adm and firefox.adm but I don't know how to lock the settings button for firefox's users.PS: Sorry for my bad english language
Which "settings" button are you referring to?

quickzap

Post by quickzap » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:05 am

Well I want to lock all settings tools for users in the domain (hisory access button, tools buttons, settings button) or if it's possible lock the menubar ...

GaGirrl

Post by GaGirrl » Mon May 24, 2010 1:18 pm

What you need to do is browse http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_ ... essibility and figure out what settings you want to change.

For example, if you want to set the browser startup home page not to change when you upgrade Firefox, you can set browser.startup.homepage to whaterver URL you want instead of the "welcome for Firefox version xxxx" junk.

Some things are easier set via mozilla.cfg, like disabling updates, disabling updating extensions, etc. So it really depends on what you want to do to determine which method is the best.

//
try {
lockPref("app.update.enabled", false);
lockPref("app.update.autoUpdateEnabled", false);
lockPref("extensions.update.enabled", true);
lockPref("extensions.update.autoUpdateEnabled", true);
} catch(e) {
displayError("lockedPref", e);
}

ijdu

Post by ijdu » Thu May 27, 2010 9:01 pm

If there is an about:config setting that is not in the Frontmotion ADM files, you can always add it via editing the Adm with a text editing program, and adding it in.

You'll need to note what kind of about:config setting it is (string, boolean, integer), find another about:config setting already in the ADM file that is of the same type, and copy the structure. I can't recall the specifics of the ADM formatting, but it'd be easy to get a rundown on it via google. Be careful to replicate the structure precisely when editing, and of course check your spelling!

I had previously done this for the wetdog ADMs, which i used to use prior to Frontmotion, and used it (and now frontmotion) to regulate settings for extensions such as FEBE, IEtab too.