Unable to change password

General impression, suggestions, ideas, etc.
DrJ
Unable to change password

Post by DrJ » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:16 am

Hi there,

I've been using Frontmotion on my PC at home connected to my network. I've been testing with Group Policies and had activated the password expiration. The day that my password expired I couldn't get into my PC with Frontmotion installed on it at all. I didn't have the opportunity to change my password.

I believe this to be a bug. Can this be corrected?

Thanks!!!

yuqiray

try it

Post by yuqiray » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:20 pm

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:12 am

It's not the problem that I was unable to login, I could access my server and it was done, but just as in Winodws, you should get the dialog box to change your password right there and then.

I hope this will be fixed in FrontMotion.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:56 am

Yup, this will be fixed. The code to remind changing the password was there, but the time calculation did an addition instead of a subtraction and so the date was always after the expiration. D'oh! It will be fixed in the next release which will be out before the end of the month.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:58 am

Great! Thanks for the quick reply!

Sproglet

Post by Sproglet » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:28 am

Has this been fixed??
I'm using V 1.1.4.344 and today when I turned on password expiration which immediately expired my password I was unable to get back into my PC without going to the DC and turning off password expiration.

Entering my password on the front Ctrl+Alt+Del gives the message "Password expired" which then drops you back to the enter password screen. No option to change your password.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:27 pm

Sproglet wrote:Has this been fixed??
I'm using V 1.1.4.344 and today when I turned on password expiration which immediately expired my password I was unable to get back into my PC without going to the DC and turning off password expiration.

Entering my password on the front Ctrl+Alt+Del gives the message "Password expired" which then drops you back to the enter password screen. No option to change your password.
That actually is the correct behavior because the 'password never expires' option is managed seperately from the password's expiration date.

Let's say that on account A you set the password to never expire, but policy sets an expiration date. You use the same password on account A past the expire time and all is well. However, once you remove the password never expires flag, it will start checking the password's expiration date.

Of course since you haven't changed the password for a long time, it is considered 'expired' and an administrator will have to reset the password.

This is to ensure that when the admin turns on password expiration, very old passwords are indeed changed.

For more information see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte ... ctlck.mspx and search for the AcctInfo.dll tool for Active Directory

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:03 am

Next version will let you change the password after the password expires.

Sproglet

Post by Sproglet » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:30 am

DraconPern wrote:Next version will let you change the password after the password expires.
Thanks.
I was going to point out that if you don't use FML then Windoze asks for a new password if the password has expired but then I read your second message :)