Login Script Won't Run

General impression, suggestions, ideas, etc.
nm2588
Login Script Won't Run

Post by nm2588 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:29 am

I'm using the latest version of FrontMotion and when ever I try to login, my login script won't run. We are using straight .vbs scripts. The scripts work fine without FrontMotion installed. Anyone have any ideas? Also the computer is Windows XP Pro with SP2.

nm2588

Post by nm2588 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:51 am

Any ideas here? Anyone... Anyone...

janet thomas

Post by janet thomas » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:26 am

We are running logon scripts (.vbs) from GPO's with XP SP1 workstations running latest version of FrontMotion. No problems with the logon scripts though.
JT

nm2588

Post by nm2588 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:44 pm

Do you have the login script set in the user details in AD or somewhere else?

janet thomas

Post by janet thomas » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:21 am

We have a Group Policy that is linked to the OU where all our users reside. The Group Policy sets User Configuration-Windows Settings - Scripts - Logon to our .vbs logon script.
JT

nm2588

Post by nm2588 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:50 pm

Do you have it setup to where it can run more than one login script? I need specific users to get specific scripts...

janet thomas

Post by janet thomas » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:43 am

We don't do that but easily could. For example, I work with school LANS and in our AD we have the following structure:
School (OU)
-----SchoolUsers (OU)
------------SchoolLearners (OU)
------------SchoolStaff (OU)
------------SchoolTeachers (OU)

When users are created, they are put in the appropriate OU (e.g Teacher, learner, etc) for who they are. We have a GPO (as described in post before) that runs a logonscript. It is linked to OU SchoolUsers. However, we could have another GPO that also ran a different logon script that was linked to SchoolLearners. (You can have multiple logon scripts). There could be another one for SchoolStaff, etc. In this example, the logon script linked with SchoolUsers would always run but the ones linked to the other OUs would only run if the user was a member of that OU.

Alternatively, you could use a security group filter on the GPO. For example, we have 3 security groups: SchLearners, SchTeachers, SchManagers. When we create a new user, they are also asssigned to one of the above security groups. If you link the GPO to OU SchoolUsers, you could put a filter on it so that it only applied to security group SchLearners. You could have another GPO with a different logon script with a filter of SchTeachers.

Lastly, depending what you are doing, you could have a single logon script that does different things depending on membership. For example, in our logon script we get the computer name and check what security groups that computer is a member of. For different security groups, we do different things, e.g. map different drives and set different printers. We also get the user name and check what security groups they are a member of and assign different printers based on that.

Hope that answers your question and gives you some ideas...
JT