Problem with deleting roaming profiles with V1.1.5.293

General impression, suggestions, ideas, etc.
janet thomas
Problem with deleting roaming profiles with V1.1.5.293

Post by janet thomas » Wed May 03, 2006 9:22 am

Since we upgraded to FrontMotion 1.1.5.293, we are having problems with profiles. We use roaming profiles on W2003 Server/XP Pro clients. When a user logs onto the workstation, their profile is copied from the server and a local cached copy created - ok. When they log off, the profile is copied back to the server but it is NOT fully deleted from the workstation!

The following folders/files are left on the workstation in their profile:
Cookies/index.dat
Local Settings/History/History.IE5/index.dat
Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE4/index.dat

If you then access the workstation hard drive from the server and try to manually delete these, you can't as you get message telling you "The directory is not empty". But as soon as you reboot the workstation OR logon as a different user, you can then delete these files. But the end result is that unless you do them manually, the next time you logon that workstation, a new profile is created for you so we have lots and lots of profiles with the same name (appendix with 001, 002, 003, etc) and all but the current ones only have Cookies and Local Setting in them.
This is definitely a FrontMotion problem as as soon as we remove FrontMotion, the problem goes away.
Any help in this would be MUCH appreciated as management is pushing to withdraw FrontMotion from all our sites as a result!! I'm trying to hold off the panic. Help please! :cry:
JT

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue May 09, 2006 5:28 am

Checking into the problem... Did you have this problem on previous versions?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

janet thomas

Post by janet thomas » Wed May 10, 2006 4:00 am

No it was not a problem on the previous version. I have reinstalled the previous version to verify that is it is something new.
JT

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Sun May 14, 2006 8:25 pm

I have tested it w/ roaming profiles (Win2003 + WinXP) and it is working correctly. All clean configurations.

May be there's some other software that is preventing IE from exiting?

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Mon May 15, 2006 5:57 am

I looked into a bit more and I may have found the problem, and the solution. Turns out there was some problems with roaming profiles in all previous versions and you just got lucky hitting the bug upgrading to 1.1.5.

A new version with the fixed problem is being worked on.

janet thomas

Post by janet thomas » Wed May 17, 2006 7:46 am

Thanks for checking it out. We have been doing more testing and found that this only happens on workstations at schools where they haven't installed XP SP2 yet. We have tested with SP1 and have the problem as soon as we install FrontMotion. But once we install SP2 we are ok. So we just have to push them to finish their SP2 upgrades! Many thanks. (Great product!!)
JT