Is this possible with FM

General impression, suggestions, ideas, etc.
oomingmak
Is this possible with FM

Post by oomingmak » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:31 am

Hi,

I have not yet tried out FrontMotion (because I am in the middle of some critical work on my PC and can't mess with my system right now).

I therefore wanted to ask people familiar with Front Motion if the following is possible:

1. To have an XP style log in list of users that is listed in an order that the user specifies (rather than being forced by XP to have them listed alphabetically)

2. To have hidden user accounts on the log in page that can be displayed by using a certain hot key combination (e.g. for hiding Admin account from other users). This would save you having to log in under a regular account, changing account settings to show the hidden account that you wanted to use, and then logging out and back in again under the new un-hidden account.

3. Would such functionality (as listed in points 1 & 2) be implemented by a theme or as a core function of FM itself?

Answers gratefully received.

Thanks very much

Oomingmak

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:46 pm

1) The list is pre-sorted. By default the list is turned off on Windows XP Professional. Use the FrontMotion Login control panel (securities tab to turn on).

2) You don't need to go through all that trouble. The default theme has a drop down menu that list users, but you can also type in the name of hidden users manually.

3) All visual functionalty are implemented by the theme. For example, if a theme doesn't have a drop down list then nothing will show even if you turn on List Local Users. However, FM only provides the data according to the security settings.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

oomingmak

Post by oomingmak » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:07 am

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

However, I am still a little unclear regarding your answers, so I hope you don't mind if I seek further clarification.

1) You say that the list is "pre-sorted", but sorted how? (alphabetically? by account creation date?). I still don't know if I could choose my own particular account order and have the accounts always displayed in the order that I have chosen.

2)
The default theme has a drop down menu that list users, but you can also type in the name of hidden users manually.
Yes, but the whole point of my question was that I do not want to have to type anything (other than the password). My question was specifically about the XP style of login (where each user account has its name and icon displayed on the Welcome page). I would like to be able to press a hot key combination while on this page and have other hidden accounts become visible and displayed in the icon list as well.

If I have to type the names of hidden accounts, then I might as well just use the standard Win2k style login (because you can easily prevent the last used account name from showing in that dialog). What I am enquiring about, is whether Front Motion can enhance XP welcome page style logins (where all accounts are listed on the page at once).

3) If I understand your reply to point 3, I could have all accounts 'enabled' but have then have the theme only display some of them, is that correct?

However you again make reference to "drop lists" which is not the XP style welcome page login that I was talking about.

Perhaps you could clarify the above for me.

Many Thanks
Oomingmak

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:26 pm

Firstly, when you install FMLogin, there is no XP style welcome screen. The theme determins what the screen looks like.

1) The list is sorted alphabetically. No, you can't choose the account order in the current version.

2)
but the whole point of my question was that I do not want to have to type anything
You can use the control panel to list all the local user accounts, this includes Administrator, Guest, and any accounts you have created, then you don't have to type the name, just select the user.

Accounts that can't be logged in are not shown. This includes disabled accounts, system service accounts (e.g. IIS accounts, ASP.net accounts), and account name that starts with an underscore. Lastly, if the account is listed in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList and has a value of 0, it is hidden. Some third party software that create service accounts will set this.
What I am enquiring about, is whether Front Motion can enhance XP welcome page style logins (where all accounts are listed on the page at once).
It doesn't enhace the welcome screen, it's a replacement.
However you again make reference to "drop lists" which is not the XP style welcome page login that I was talking about.
That's because there is not an XP welcome page. At least no one has made one yet. =)
FrontMotion Lead Developer

oomingmak

Post by oomingmak » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:07 am

Thanks very much for the clarification.

I understand now.
Oomingmak

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:25 am

oomingmak wrote:Thanks very much for the clarification.

I understand now.
FM is used for what reason?