52%
No
48%

Total votes: 44

DraconPern
Site Admin
Poll: 'disable downloads' option in Firefox

Post by DraconPern » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:23 pm

This poll is to gauge the interest in implementing the ability to disable file downloads
FrontMotion Lead Developer

ReedMikel

Re: Poll: 'disable downloads' option in Firefox

Post by ReedMikel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:10 am

Rather than an all or nothing setting, the ability to enter a list of file extensions that are allowed (or disabled) would be even more useful. e.g. Allow: .pdf, .doc, .xls, .ppt etc

jgcracknell2

Post by jgcracknell2 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi

I agree. It needs to be "workplace safe", however new extensions come out all the time and for some workplaces and schools downloading mp3's is forbidden or allowed. I think this needs to be carried out by filtering software.

I'd like to see the profile option that I've posted about implemented.

J.

ReedMikel

Post by ReedMikel » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:49 pm

Where is the profile that you posted? Link?

jgcracknell2

Post by jgcracknell2 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Mike

http://forums.frontmotion.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=488

I'd really like to make it easier to store profiles in user areas e.g. bookmarks etc. as sometimes on a network roaming profiles are not available and student profiles in a school are set to read-only due to security (and the fact they mess them up and they have to be reset!)

J.

ReedMikel

Post by ReedMikel » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:11 pm

I'll have to think about your profile request some more, as I'm not sure I fully understand all the issues...

As for my request to disable all or some File Downloads, you are right that the list of extensions continues to grow. But I'm sure you could quickly come up with a list of 10 or so extensions you would want to disable (.exe, .bat, .cmd, .vbs etc). In my case I'd prefer to list extensions to block, rather than the ones to allow - for the very reason you stated. It's much easier to define what to block than allow...

savman

Post by savman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:58 pm

I'd like to be able to set the download option via GPO. So I can stop it defaulting to the desktop to save files, and change it too "Always ask me where to save files"

Gus

Post by Gus » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:09 pm

savman wrote:I'd like to be able to set the download option via GPO. So I can stop it defaulting to the desktop to save files, and change it too "Always ask me where to save files"
I believe I have it set via the mozilla.adm - browser.download.useDownloadDir Disabled

Re: disable downloads. I think a simple switch should be fine for being able to save the downloads. If more is needed, use web filtering. This allows content to be streamed or used via the browser but 'typically' unable to save.

sbroker

should be configurable by config server

Post by sbroker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:47 am

all.js need following parameters

Code: Select all

pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0); // for MCD .cfg files
pref("general.config.filename", "localconfig.js" );
and FM distrubution should include a file localconfig.js which content should be configurable by Frontmotion Web gui as
text area with following default content:

Code: Select all

// File: $INSTALLDIR/localconfig.js

//lockPref("autoadmin.global_config_url","http://configserver.local/global_settings.js");
If user changes nothing, file also does nothing. Otherwise Firefox reads all further config from a remote server, which may configs, which are common to Windows, Linux and MacOS Firefox installations.
This may also contain specitfic allow/deny instructions for downloads, but not limited to that.