FirefoxCE modifications vs vanilla

syserror
FirefoxCE modifications vs vanilla

Post by syserror » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:14 am

We are currently using your community-edition version of firefox, which has been working great for us; however I am looking to include some modifications to the (MSI) build and use version 3.5 instead of the 3.0.x branch of firefox.

I am happy to do the modifications I want to the browser, since most of them are settings/chrome/defaults and don't require any special compilation, but I am at a loss as to where you implement the registry keys from the group policies.

I have extracted the contents of your MSI to try and figure out what would need to be changed on any builds that I make, yet when doing a diff between the extracted files and my vanilla version of 3.0.11 on my machine, I can find no obvious differences.

The only noticeable exception is the components folder, which looks like you have left the individual .xpt's as they are, instead of linking them into 1 large .xpt (browser.xpt?). Since the XPT files are the only files I cannot read the source of, I must assume the changes to pull prefs from the registry is in there.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to make source code changes to firefox, and could simply alter some of the js that is run on start-up to iterate through the registry branch and apply all the keys that exist in the registry; I am not bothered about locking prefs down...

Any advice or tips would be great