FMFirefoxCE-4.0 unable to disable extensions

xenit
FMFirefoxCE-4.0 unable to disable extensions

Post by xenit » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:15 am

I installed FMFirefoxCE-4.0-de.msi and the mozilla.admx and mozilla.adml templates. Not all of the GPO-settings work.
For example I want to prevent users from installing addons/extensions.
What I tried:
xpinstall. enabled : disable
app.update.enabled: disable
extensions.update.enabled : disable

Still the user is able to install extensions. What can I do?

DraconPern
Site Admin

Re: FMFirefoxCE-4.0 unable to disable extensions

Post by DraconPern » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Checking into this problem.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

xenit

Post by xenit » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:01 pm

I have the same problem as described in this thread:
http://forums.frontmotion.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=739

eicky

Post by eicky » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:15 am

Hello,

I just encountered the same problem. When i configure xpinstall.enabled=disabled via group policy (mozilla.adm), the value does not appear in about:config on the client side.

But:
When I manually add the entry in about:config on the client side, the value appears as locked after a restart of firefox and the setting works.

Perhaps this finding helps to resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Eicky

eicky

Post by eicky » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:06 am

Hey,

because the missing ability to disable the installation of extensions was a reason to hold back the rollout of Firefox 4, I tried to find a workaround. And I found one :D

What you have to do:
  • Create an empty folder for an administrative install
  • run
    msiexec /a "%PathToOriginalMSI%\FMFirefoxCE-4.0-XX.msi" TARGETDIR="%PathToFolderForAdministrativeInstall%"
  • Edit the following file in the administrative install-folder: Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js
  • Add the following line to the config-file:
    pref("xpinstall.enabled", true);
    Don't worry, this is the default value and will be owerwritten with your Group Policy-setting.
  • Roll out the administrative install-msi.
I successfully tested it on a clean pc with a clean user profile. I don't know if it works on an upgrade...

Best regards,

Eicky

nath

Post by nath » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:33 am

eicky wrote:Hey,

because the missing ability to disable the installation of extensions was a reason to hold back the rollout of Firefox 4, I tried to find a workaround. And I found one :D

What you have to do:
  • Create an empty folder for an administrative install
  • run
    msiexec /a "%PathToOriginalMSI%\FMFirefoxCE-4.0-XX.msi" TARGETDIR="%PathToFolderForAdministrativeInstall%"
  • Edit the following file in the administrative install-folder: Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js
  • Add the following line to the config-file:
    pref("xpinstall.enabled", true);
    Don't worry, this is the default value and will be owerwritten with your Group Policy-setting.
  • Roll out the administrative install-msi.
I successfully tested it on a clean pc with a clean user profile. I don't know if it works on an upgrade...

Best regards,

Eicky

This works well - thanks for the advice. However, setting XPInstall to disabled in the locked settings doesn't actually apply as a locked setting, just a 'user set' one which the end user is able to change. This will prevent the user from installing an add-on, but also will give them an option to enable add-on installation.

Any ideas?

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Just a note that the 4.0.1.2 release should have fixed this issue
FrontMotion Lead Developer

nath

Post by nath » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:06 am

Hi,

I don't think it is.

My set up is:
We have a computer group policy that installs the software on all machines. The software I am pushing out is the latest version, FMFirefoxCE-4.0.1.2-en-GB.msi with the above adjustment made to the firefox.js file. Before making the above modification, the xpinstall setting didn't pull through at all.

I have created a user group policy that contains the locked down settings (not all users have this applied). This GPO includes proxy settings, homepage and xpinstall settings (all set under 'locked' settings). All settings apply as locked apart from the xpinstall setting, which does apply as disabled, but as a 'user_set' value instead of locked. This allows the user to change the setting to enabled which I want to prevent.

Is this a bug or a problem with my configuration. I think my set-up is OK as all other settings work fine apart from the xpinstall one.

Regards