Firefox 16.0.1 and ADMX-GPO

casing
Firefox 16.0.1 and ADMX-GPO

Post by casing » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:16 am

Hello,
Trying to take our org to the next level with using Firefox msi and GPO. The ADMX files for 10 dont seem to apply to 16.0.1. What are others doing to manage 16.0.1?

Thanks

casing

Re: Firefox 16.0.1 and ADMX-GPO

Post by casing » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:24 am

In order for the admx to work I need to have this plugin???
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... r-firefox/

any msi for it?

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:18 pm

You don't need the plugin, but you do need the Community edition.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

casing

Post by casing » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:42 am

DraconPern wrote:You don't need the plugin, but you do need the Community edition.
I am using the frontmotion MSI. Until I install this add-on gpo the setting do not populate into frontmotion firefox

mjt

Post by mjt » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:01 am

I'm having similar issue with the admx. I'm using the FMFirefoxCE 15.0.1. I downloaded the admx and adml files to my central store on our DC. None of the settings are showing up in a GPO. They only show up when adding the firefox.adm and mozilla.adm templates. I took a look at the admx and it should show up based on the below...
<policyNamespaces>
<target prefix="frontmotion" namespace="FrontMotion.Policies.Firefox" />
<using prefix="windows" namespace="Microsoft.Policies.Windows" />
</policyNamespaces>
<supersededAdm fileName="mozilla.adm" />
<resources minRequiredRevision="1.0" />
<categories>
<category name="ADVANCED_FIREFOX_CATEGORY" displayName="$(string.ADVANCED_FIREFOX_CATEGORY)" />
etc.

DragonHawk

Post by DragonHawk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:19 pm

casing wrote:
DraconPern wrote:You don't need the plugin, but you do need the Community edition.
I am using the frontmotion MSI. Until I install this add-on gpo the setting do not populate into frontmotion firefox
The Firefox MSI from FrontMotion does not have any built-in GPO support. This is just a standard Firefox, repackaged into MSI.

You need the FrontMotion Firefox Community Edition, which does have the needed GPO support. This is a modification to the Firefox code, hence the different name, URL, and download files.

casing

Post by casing » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:55 am

DragonHawk wrote:
casing wrote:
The Firefox MSI from FrontMotion does not have any built-in GPO support. This is just a standard Firefox, repackaged into MSI.

You need the FrontMotion Firefox Community Edition, which does have the needed GPO support. This is a modification to the Firefox code, hence the different name, URL, and download files.
Are you sure about this? On the MSI page is also the admx's and adms.

DragonHawk

Post by DragonHawk » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:54 am

casing wrote:Are you sure about this? On the MSI page is also the admx's and adms.
Sure as I can be without examining the code. Are you sure you're looking at the right product? Be aware that the two sets of pages link to each other.

It states right on the Features of Firefox MSI page:
FrontMotion wrote:If you need Administrative Template/lockdown support, you need to use FrontMotion Firefox Community Edition instead.
Are you sure you're not looking at the Community Edition, which is also packaged as an MSI?

What is the name of the MSI file you downloaded / are using?

casing

Post by casing » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:04 am

DragonHawk wrote:
casing wrote:Are you sure about this? On the MSI page is also the admx's and adms.
Sure as I can be without examining the code. Are you sure you're looking at the right product? Be aware that the two sets of pages link to each other.

It states right on the Features of Firefox MSI page:
FrontMotion wrote:If you need Administrative Template/lockdown support, you need to use FrontMotion Firefox Community Edition instead.
Are you sure you're not looking at the Community Edition, which is also packaged as an MSI?

What is the name of the MSI file you downloaded / are using?
the file I download was Firefox-16.0.1-en-US.msi . I came from another page that said to go here to download a GPO version http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/download_firefox.htm . Looks like I can install the GPO addon and be done. Anyway to centrally deploy a firefox addon?

MonkeyBoy

Post by MonkeyBoy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:39 pm

If you want to deploy Firefox without any kind of central administration of everyone's settings, the version of Firefox you downloaded is fine. You can deploy it through Group Policy Objects (GPOs) and it'll be on everyone's desktop to use as they see fit. But if you want to deploy Firefox through a GPO and centrally administer everyone's settings through GPOs, which you appear to be looking for, then you need to download another version of Firefox - the Community Edition offers central administration.

You don't need the plugin. In the first place it never really worked properly, and beyond that it's outdated. CE is both current and offers central administration through the ADM you've already downloaded. I believe the ADM you downloaded from Frontmotion won't work with that plugin, so you're only looking at headache and frustration if you keep going down this path.

The entire problem is you downloaded the wrong MSI installer for Firefox and are getting hung up on this like its the only MSI installer for Firefox from Frontmotion. It isn't. There is another MSI installer that you need to use instead if you want the functionality you're asking for.

In short:
http://www.frontmotion.com/FMFirefoxCE/
Is not the same thing as:
http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/

The former can be configured through GPO. The latter can only be deployed through GPO. You downloaded the latter. Download the former.

As for deploying extensions, you can use the packaging service (which isn't free) from Frontmotion to create your own customized MSI of Firefox.

DragonHawk

Post by DragonHawk » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:25 pm

casing wrote:the file I download was Firefox-16.0.1-en-US.msi
That's the standard Firefox, without GPO settings functionality (ADM/ADMX).
casing wrote:I came from another page that said to go here to download a GPO version http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/download_firefox.htm
That version is a standard Firefox, packaged as an MSI. It can be installed via GPO, but you cannot apply settings (ADM/ADMX).

You need FrontMotion Firefox Community Edition, from this page:

http://frontmotion.com/FMFirefoxCE/down ... efoxce.htm
Looks like I can install the GPO addon and be done. Anyway to centrally deploy a firefox addon?
You've been told several times now, by several people, what you need to do. Might I suggest you take the advice you've been given?

hazymat

Post by hazymat » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:43 am

Sorry to dig up an old topic, and I completely agree with DragonHawk that OP needed to heed the advice on this thread.

BUT...

If you dig a little bit deeper, I think it's fair to say that the FrontMotion website is not conducive to gaining a quick understanding (i.e. for new users) of the difference between Firefox MSI and the CE version of FrontMotion:

- If you google for Frontmotion, you get useful sitelinks. However the most obvious one for a network admin is the one that says "Firefox MSI: MSI installers for Mozilla Firefox! Useful for deploying Mozilla ..."- surely the most commonly downloaded / most useful package is CE?

- If you look on the products page of the FM website, under the "browsers" heading, there are three list items. The first one is not for a browser at all. The second two don't help anyone determine the difference between the two pacakges in any way:
- Mozilla Firefox MSI
- FrontMotion Firefox Community Edition
- Most people would select the first option when they are actually looking for the second option!

In fact there's *nothing* on that page that tells you the difference between the two!

- Also, the group policy ADM templates are kind of hidden below 42 pages of scrolling - and there are no hints they are even there for download - so hard to find!

- On the download page for CE, there are three columns for "current version";
- 2nd and 3rd cols seem to be the same product, although their version numbers seem drastically different - huh?
- 1st col is a product I have no idea what it is
- these are supposedly "current versions", so why are there a tonne of old versions?

Sorry if I'm missing something that is obvious / intuitive to someone else, but the way the products are set-out is hugely confusing to me.

DragonHawk

Post by DragonHawk » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:23 pm

hazymat wrote:If you dig a little bit deeper, I think it's fair to say that the FrontMotion website is not conducive to gaining a quick understanding (i.e. for new users) of the difference between Firefox MSI and the CE version of FrontMotion...
I'd say that's a fair criticism.

I'd be happy to do some re-arranging of the web page code, if DraconPern wants help. :)

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:07 pm

The site can use an update, the site has looked the same since 2007!
FrontMotion Lead Developer

DragonHawk

Post by DragonHawk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:22 pm

DraconPern wrote:The site can use an update, the site has looked the same since 2007!
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I've got some knowledge of HTML and CSS. I'm not much at coming up with cool new design/layout, but I can modify existing stuff easily, and I'm good at organizing information for presentation.