17.0.7 similar to 22.0.1?

stoneburner
17.0.7 similar to 22.0.1?

Post by stoneburner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:47 am

I have a question.

We have installed FirefoxESR 17.0.1 having updated from 8.0.1 when it became available. Since then Firefox has stepped through versions 18 to the current 22.0. As Frontmotion has also released a Firefox version 18 through 22 they have simultaneously released FirefoxESR 17.0.2 through 17.0.7. Does the 17.0.7 version reflect the updates in Firefox 22.0? And as such, should we continue upgrading 17.0.x as Firefox updates versions above 22.0? This assumes, of course, we want to be as current as possible to the current Firefox release in our Frontmotion FirefoxESR implementation.

I ask this because it is my contention that if we do not upgrade from FirefoxESR 17.0.1 we will remain at a Firefox version equivalent to 17.0 while Firefox is now currently distributing 22.0, as is Frontmotion in FirefoxESR 17.0.7. Also, if we continue at 17.0.1 we will fall further behind Firefox distribution version until Frontmotion releases, say FirefoxESR 29.0.1 when Firefox releases a version 29.0.

I appreciate a response to this question whether I am right or wrong .... that I am wrong being the current prevailing opinion arrayed against me. I am here to resolve this question for myself one way or the other.

Cheers!

jpa

Re: 17.0.7 similar to 22.0.1?

Post by jpa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:54 pm

I read that multiple times and just about the time I thought I understood what you're saying I'd read it again and think I didn't really get it. So if the following is obvious to you then I really didn't understand what you're asking. Anyway....

Basically if you don't like the rapid changes happening in Firefox lately you stick with Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release) which is FF17 with bugfixes. If you want to stay current you deploy the "latest wacky changes go here" Firefox version currently at 22.

stoneburner

Re: 17.0.7 similar to 22.0.1?

Post by stoneburner » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:31 am

jpa,

Despite myself I seem to have been understood and despite your thinking you really didn't get it I think you did. The following was obvious to me and you did understand what I was asking ... and that had been the point really--I couldn't get everyone else to understand. That link is exactly what I need to make my case. I don't know why I had not seen it before.

The two Frontmotion releases are not exactly the same but the ESR version has the Security Updates of a current full Firefox release. I don't care about being up to date with the latest bells and whistles necessarily, but I DO want to keep current with the security updates. This FAQ is saying that the updates of the ESR will do that very thing:
"Point releases contain security updates coinciding with regular Firefox releases."
"Maintenance of each ESR, through point releases, is limited to high-risk/high-impact security vulnerabilities."

So jpa, thanks for reading multiple times ... and getting me to the FAQ. I want the Point Release updates implemented specifically for the bugfixes. The cadre against me were arguing that 17.0.2 through 17.0.7 was no different then 17.0.1. But these updates are different where it matters--Security!

I see now that the word Security was missing from my original question. Info Security is what I do and I forget that not everyone is as security-centric. I did well enough in reading comprehension but I missed the day they taught writing comprehensibility. I appreciate your sticking with it and getting me in the right direction.

Cheers!