Version 30.0

balgi
Version 30.0

Post by balgi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:26 am

Hello

I wanted to know when FF 30.0 will be available as the 24.6 ESR version is already available for download

thanks

DeeZwoo

Re: Version 30.0

Post by DeeZwoo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Hello,

i am also wondering why there are so long delays between a new exe-release and the msi-pendant and the CE-Edition.

How will this be in the future, the releases always contain security fixes and it is hard to explain to customers, why they have to surf with vulnerable software while there is a fix available since many weeks.

Is this project going to die, will there be changes in the future so releases will be faster? Will it help to donate?
For me it would be better to pay some sort of subscription fee to receive the msi's fast after a release, with a tax deductible bill. Maybe this would be a possibility??
Or is the Firefox Packaging Service in the Store exactly this?

Also this forum is spammed over and over again with kitchen spam, and i wonder how often it is monitored by DraconPern?

Is there at least any way to help speed up the release process?

Regards,
DeeZwoo

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:23 am

Hi! I think this is a good time to address the issues and hopefully make some changes. So you probably have noticed that the releases this past month or so has been a lot slower than before. Normally, it takes about two weeks for me to complete the packaging for both the Mozilla Firefox MSI and also the Community Edition, and I like to release both at the same time. Following Mozilla's release schedule, this means pushing out 4 versions, the normal version, the ESR version; and the normal and community edition for both. For the normal MSI, all I need to do is download, apply some settings and package up the files. However for Community Edition, I need to download source drop from mozilla, compile the source code and package up the files. I can usually do this within two weeks. In terms of raw hours, it takes about 38hours of computing time to do all this if there were no errors. Unfortunately, not all the steps have been automated and invariably a mistake happens, and parts of the process has to be restarted. This is where most of the delay in the past has come in. One of the big issues has been that I am doing this only part time. I really like providing the packages, and interacting with everyone, but unfortunately the Firefox project just hasn't been very rewarding financially. I do have a full time job doing system administration which is actually the reason why I started the project in the first place.

That said.. Recently, I have joined a development team on a short term basis working on medical software, which means even less time to go around, and clearly it is resulting in really long lag time in releasing the packages. I apologize for that. I do want to continue to provide the packages and also do it in a timely manner. But in order to do so, something has to change otherwise I just don't have enough time in the day to do everything. I hope that in the future I can just work on development of medical software and the Firefox package. I want to get to that point, but to get there, it means changing the way the business side is handled. This could mean a change in price structure, like adding a more comprehensive support option in addition to the free downloads and also the packaging service. It may mean teaming up with Mike Kaply (author of CCK) to provide some kind of 'solution'. Unfortunately, nothing currently stands out. Mike and I have actually met a few times (We happen to live close by) with regards to Firefox in the Enterprise, but at this point, there's nothing concrete, and we would love to get some input from you all.

Regardless of what happens, the updates will keep coming, it may just be slower at times. Thank you all! -Eric
FrontMotion Lead Developer

claudiom

Post by claudiom » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:37 am

Thanks for updating all of us, DraconPern. We all truly appreciate the work you're doing here with the Firefox MSIs.

macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:32 am

I'd like to reiterate what claudiom has said Eric, thank you for providing this service to us all, and hopefully you manage to work something out.

Perhaps you could focus on one release (e.g. the normal MSI), or the one that you can see is the most popular, then release the MSIs for that edition first, so that not everyone is waiting.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Going forward, I am going to release each one individually instead of 2 at a time.
FrontMotion Lead Developer

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:15 am

Maybe a few of us are able to contribute some money to this project even if they just use the free downloads (like me).
I did in the past from my private money alltough I use DraconPern´s service for the company I work.

Maybe you can post your paypal information or other possibility to contribute a bit as I don´t find this information at the moment.

Thank you!

macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:46 am

It's available on the homepage.

leonard

Post by leonard » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:37 am

found it. Thank you!