Interaction with other software?

General impression, suggestions, ideas, etc.
Yehosua
Interaction with other software?

Post by Yehosua » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:04 am

We use a program called Nitrobit Group Policy to give us Active Directory-style Group Policies in a Windowsw NT4 / Samba domain. I eagerly installed FMLogin, because I wanted fast user switching, but after installing it, Nitrobit no longer works. The Event Viewer gives the following error:

"Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted."

Any idea what causes this? Any idea if a workaround is available? (Sorry for asking about problems resulting from 3rd-party software like this.)

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:57 pm

Need a bit more info. Is it Nitrobit Group Policy that generated the error message? Are you using Samba as a PDC? If so which version?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:01 pm

The error message is from Userenv, a part of Windows, rather than from Nitrobit. (I'm not real familiar with Nitrobit's internal workings, but I'm pretty sure that it convinces Windows that it's running with a real AD controller; Windows, not Nitrobit, does most of the GP processing.) It only applies for user policies; computer policies are processed without any error.

We're using a Samba PDC, 3.0.20b (the latest version).

Thanks.

DraconPern
Site Admin

Post by DraconPern » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:34 pm

Are there instructions somewhere on setting up Samba PDC to work w/ Nitrobit?
FrontMotion Lead Developer

Yehosua

Post by Yehosua » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:34 am

The only instructions that I'm aware of are in Nitrobit's Administrator's Guide, http://www.nitrobit.com/NGPadmin.pdf.

Now that I think about it, though, Nitrobit has no particular dependence on the Samba PDC; it's supposed to work whether or not you have a domain setup, and we don't have it configured to rely on a domain controller at all.

So I'm not sure what's causing the message, and I don't know if anything can be done on FrontMotion's end to fix it.